Reflection bug

Started by Harvey Birdman, April 06, 2007, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

I have a scene that includes a small pool of water and a population of trees. The trees are not in the camera's view - they're on the far side of a hill. The trouble is that their reflections ARE visible in the water, even though the hill lies between the pool and the trees.

At one point during the rendering process these trees are visible in the rendering window, until they are occluded by the hill. The trees themselves are removed from the image by this occlusion, but not their reflections in the water.

I've attached 3 little images to illustrate. The first shows the pool and hill scene without the tree population. The reflection in the pool is correct.

The second shows the rendering window partway throught the rendering process, and shows the trees which are later occluded, along with their reflections in the pool.

The third shows a completed render with the tree population present. As described, you'll see the trees are now removed from view but the reflections remain in the water.

Is this known; is there a workaround?

old_blaggard

That's really cool :D.  It almost looks like Matt forgot to apply culling to objects' reflections.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

They are vampire trees in reverse, you can't see them but you can see their reflection, ;D

Harvey Birdman

It's a SERIOUSLY magical pool. None of this swirling fog crap - we're talking x-ray vision here.

:)

<edit>
On a more serious note, this could indicate a real problem in the sequence of events in the rendering process. Hopefully it won't result in steps being added, further hammering the rendering rate.
</edit>

bertrand

Same here, look at this one. Not a problem with objects, but some shaders seem to be missing and the foreground hill looks strangely facetted...

rcallicotte

I'm wondering how closely tied reflections are to transparency and once transparency is fixed if reflections will then be dynamite.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

There is a lot of work to be done on the reflection system. Bugs like these are just a part of life until it gets overhauled. Transparency will also be added at that time.

- Oshyan