Cumulus Clouds WIP

Started by Tangled-Universe, July 08, 2011, 03:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

From this thread: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12723.0

Needs a bit more tweaking, but the basic shapes and idea are there.

inkydigit

nice cauliflower shapes, maybe some more bulbousness?
:)

RogueNZ

Very nice, I haven't seen the small fractal details coexist with the big features quite like this before. Please share your new secret :D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: SpacemanNZ on July 11, 2011, 10:11:38 AM
Very nice, I haven't seen the small fractal details coexist with the big features quite like this before. Please share your new secret :D

Here I've explained a bit what the approach is:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12723.0

Tangled-Universe

Reduced the setup from 20+ nodes to just 6.

Here and there the shapes and details are very nice.
If you look (not so) carefully it is obvious that the top section has higher density than lower section of the clouds, even though I don't use a density modulator.
It's a known "feature" of the cloud system in Terragen, but I wonder if there's a way to:

1) get a more homogenous type of noise
2) get homogenous density from bottom to top

I'm kind of double posting this which isn't a really good thing, but I'd like to try to encourage people to join the search for a nice realistic cumulus cloud.

There are multiple ways of getting them so there's no strict starting point you need to follow, except for billow noise as a base then :)
(ok, in case someone gets smart, you can also use ridged as base and subtract the absolute value of the fractal from 1 to get billowed noise)

Cheers,
Martin

freelancah

Looking nice there! I kinda like how the density changes towards the bottom but I do wonder what the cloud looks without such a tight crop tho?

Tangled-Universe

The crop isn't that tight...but here's the complete frame, except for the bottom which was just a sharp edge (flat base clouds) and a bunch of shadow like on the right side.
I could have cropped a bit less from the left side becaue there are some nice features in there at the bottom.

dandelO

Some of the very best cloud fractals!
I can also, almost, imagine that I'm a tiny mouse or a fly, looking up at a big dollop of squirty-cream or shaving foam, that someone has accidentally spilled onto their worktop/sink. :D