GI errors using planes

Started by jamfull, July 28, 2011, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamfull

I'm not sure if this is a known issue. I'm trying to project an image map w/alpha as opacity onto a plane and have another object receive the reflections. I used the built in plane object but it seems that the opacity does not function properly during prepass or in the reflection (fig1). I then tried building a obj plane in another application but have the opposite problem. The diffuse does not show up in prepass or the reflection (fig2).

James

jamfull

It could be anything projected onto the plane, I just used the stick figure as an example. It's actually the opacity and diffuse in the GI/reflections that are the trouble. Has anyone else experienced this or have a workaround/solution?

Thanks,
James

dandelO

Yes, I think that's the same thing. Try making an object that isn't a single sided plane. Shadows and GI should then be cast correctly on it and its reflections.

jamfull

Ha. I had only read the first page of that thread. Thanks guys, I'll give the cube a try.

James

jamfull

I tried the squashed cube but the shadows and reflections do not render in the right position. It's as if the GI and reflections ignore the image projection "through camera". They seem to use a different projection.

James

dandelO

Wow! I've no clue what's going on here. Sorry, jamfull. ???

Kadri

Not sure what is going on but "through camera" gave me problematic results too.
Sticking the image directly on the object gave me better results (on a slightly distorted plane to get z depth for the plane object).