Another of my Crap Renders

Started by Buzzzzz, April 06, 2007, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzzzz

Quote from: dhavalmistry on April 12, 2007, 03:22:33 PM
hey buzz...if you dont mind...can I want to ask you 2 questions

1.) what difference would it make if I use shader group to displace the terrain and if I use terrain group to displace the terrain

2.) why did you add distribution shader as child shader to strata and not as blending shader...

1.) You can do it any way you want, but you first asked me how I did it, so I shared the clip file. There are many ways to achieve the same effects in TG this is how I choose to do it. Works for me.

2.) The distribution shader isn't a child layer of the strata shader. I use the distribution shader as a surface layer with the strata shader attached to it as a child. That's the way the clip was hooked up when I posted it here.

bigben

Quote from: Buzzzzz on April 12, 2007, 05:21:53 PM
Quote from: dhavalmistry on April 12, 2007, 03:22:33 PM
hey buzz...if you dont mind...can I want to ask you 2 questions

1.) what difference would it make if I use shader group to displace the terrain and if I use terrain group to displace the terrain

2.) why did you add distribution shader as child shader to strata and not as blending shader...

1.) You can do it any way you want, but you first asked me how I did it, so I shared the clip file. There are many ways to achieve the same effects in TG this is how I choose to do it. Works for me.

2.) The distribution shader isn't a child layer of the strata shader. I use the distribution shader as a surface layer with the strata shader attached to it as a child. That's the way the clip was hooked up when I posted it here.

1.) If the displacements are substantial you should have a compute terrain after them to avoid potential problems with following surfaces not working as expected... which makes it simpler to put them in the terrain group.  If it's just a terrain modification it would make more sense to put it with the terrain.

2.) I think the question got a little confused, but the answer is pretty much the same as his first one. There are a number of different ways of achieving the same result, and that's just the way he chose to do it. In most cases it doesn't make any difference, but there are times when theoretically identical masks don't achieve the same result in practise e.g. masking fake stones shaders.

In the end, the chicken crossed the road to get to the other side  ;)

PS.. Great image.... perhaps a muddy river at the bottom?