Rendering Issue

Started by Tsukiyono, December 21, 2006, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsukiyono

Im not sure if this is something I have had happen only, or if someone else had it happen as well. I was rendering out an image from my current learning project I am doing. going good and all.

I dont wish to edit the main file as I didnt want to make the program crash or anything. So while its rendering, I save my file. Here I think is where the problem started.

I opened up a new instance of the TGTP, and loaded my file. no terrain loads up with it. I go to add the terrain manually by loading it in, and it says my compute terrain is corrupt and needs to be replaced or something like that. So I close it down and dont save it.

I go to my running instance that is rendering, resave my TGD file, and reopen another one, same problem. I figure, ok, so I cant have two instances running at the same time. So I close it and go back to letting my computer render and just surfing the net while waiting. Then, TGTP crashes on me. Happened before, so I open it up and load my latest save.... still corrupt it seems.

So is it saving while it was rendering that corrupted the file? Or was it running two instances of it that corrupted the file? Or something else? known issue? or new? Also, my computer shut down from overheating a bit earlier as well, I figure its because it was close to the wall, and was putting out alot of heat, it had also been rendering for about 23 hours at the time. Figure I would let you know as well.

Any ideas here?

Oshyan

As far as I have experienced you should be fine saving while rendering. I've never gotten the message you're describing and have not seen any other report of it, so you may have just found a new bug. :D

I do know there are a few potential issues in the save routines which we are working out. There is the *potential* for corruption, although I have not actually seen or heard of it happening yet. This may be the first example.

Of course if you can reproduce this problem at all that would be very helpful.

- Oshyan

Irmisato

Quote from: Tsukiyono on December 21, 2006, 03:11:21 PM

I opened up a new instance of the TGTP, and loaded my file. no terrain loads up with it. I go to add the terrain manually by loading it in, and it says my compute terrain is corrupt and needs to be replaced or something like that. So I close it down and dont save it.

I have had the same Problem, but with only one open instance of TGTP, I dont know, how I crashed the file, but it was not possible to open it a second time, I had to throw it away (two days of work-buhuhuuuu!).

I have been saving other files, while I was rendering, and everything was ok, so I suppose, this can't be the problem.

Tsukiyono

Quote from: JavaJones on December 21, 2006, 03:17:00 PM
As far as I have experienced you should be fine saving while rendering. I've never gotten the message you're describing and have not seen any other report of it, so you may have just found a new bug. :D

I do know there are a few potential issues in the save routines which we are working out. There is the *potential* for corruption, although I have not actually seen or heard of it happening yet. This may be the first example.

Of course if you can reproduce this problem at all that would be very helpful.

- Oshyan

I shall be playing for awhile, so I shall see if I can recreate it :) Otherwise though im just confuzzled right now lol

Matt

Tsukiyono,

Can you please quote the exact message you get when you try to add the terrain? I think I know which one it is. It is not an error as such, it is telling you that your project is not configured correctly for automatically adding terrains with the "Add Terrain" button. This is because the Compute Terrain node is not connected correctly. You may have disconnected it accidentally. I don't think it has anything to do with rendering with more than once instance of TG2.

If so, that message is there to try to explain what has gone wrong and let you know how you can go about fixing it. Please post it here so I can be sure we're talking about the same thing :-)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tsukiyono

Quote from: Matt on December 21, 2006, 06:21:06 PM
Tsukiyono,

Can you please quote the exact message you get when you try to add the terrain? I think I know which one it is. It is not an error as such, it is telling you that your project is not configured correctly for automatically adding terrains with the "Add Terrain" button. This is because the Compute Terrain node is not connected correctly. You may have disconnected it accidentally. I don't think it has anything to do with rendering with more than once instance of TG2.

If so, that message is there to try to explain what has gone wrong and let you know how you can go about fixing it. Please post it here so I can be sure we're talking about the same thing :-)

Matt

If thats the case, im not sure how I disabled it  :-\ as I havent touched the nodes or anything like that yet. I shall open it up here in a few minutes though and quote it to ya. Im sure its the one you think it is though, im just now confused as to how the thing got disconnected in the first  :-\

Tsukiyono

QuoteYou cannot add terrain to this planet or object, because it is not configured correctly.

You must have a "comute terrain" node attached to the planet or object.

Hesightfields and procedural terrains should be connected above the compute terrain.
The default project is an example of how the shader network should be configured.

Thats what it said, and I looked at the nodes and see where its talking about.

Now another question then.

1. How do you disconnect the nodes anyway?
2. How do you reconnect them?

Sorry about the confusion as well.... still not sure how I pulled this one off lol

Njen

Quote from: Irmisato on December 21, 2006, 03:39:54 PM
I have had the same Problem, but with only one open instance of TGTP, I dont know, how I crashed the file, but it was not possible to open it a second time, I had to throw it away (two days of work-buhuhuuuu!).

My years of working in 3D has taught me to always save in increments. So even though you might end up with many versions, but if the last one crashes, you have only lost a bit of work, instead of all the work. Saved my butt many times :)

Tsukiyono

as it did me... the one that corrupted with the 4th increment, the third was almost exactly the same with the exception of the changes I had listed in post above :)

Irmisato

So now in a German Forum I found somebody with the same mistake, Terragen said:
E:\terragen 2\Test 004.tgd: Parse error at line 223: not well-formed (invalid token)

This Guy wrote, that he had two sunlights in his file, and now I remember, The File, that crashed my work with the same message also had 3 sunlights.

@njen: yes, I've learned my lesson, from now on I save a .tgd after any change by giving it a new name.

terraspirit

Hallo here at Terragen-Forum

Yesterday i had the than trouble with reloading  an"tgd-file".
The terrainbrowser shows no terrain after relaod and I cann´t load a new one,-
Massagebox popt up (
Quote from: Tsukiyono on December 21, 2006, 06:46:26 PM
You cannot add terrain to this planet or object, because it is not configured correctly.

You must have a "comute terrain" node attached to the planet or object.

Hesightfields and procedural terrains should be connected above the compute terrain.
The default project is an example of how the shader network should be configured.

There were no multi-Sun,only a simple doubled terrain (after the second saved file),the first save
works fine(only one terrain).

But on the second up I cann´t load them without loothing my terrainfiles. ???

Another problem from 2.up was a mistake after big-render,-there was a line between Sky-render and
Landscap-render,first I think my Atmosphere was no correct but I don´t get it away

Look here (5.version):

6.Version cashed at about rendering 99% at big. :(

Maschine:Amd Thunderbird 1200,512Mb Ram,Geforce FX5500,XP-Prof 2.Edition.

Greatings Terraspirit

Sorry for my bad Englishwritting,School is long ago ;D

Homepage new:http://www.terraspirits.de 
              and   http://www.terraphoto.de

Oshyan

The horizon line through clouds is a known issue with the atmosphere rendering that happens when you are inside or on level with the clouds. It will be resolved in the future.

The other issue seems to be some kind of strange saving corruption and it's being looked into. In the meantime if you can post a screenshot of the Terrain group network in your problem file (or attach the problem file to a post here), that will help diagnose it.

- Oshyan