Woodland scene

Started by Kevin F, July 16, 2011, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's another woodland scene for comments and criticism.

credits:
Trees & grasses - NWDA & Walli
tgo plants  - Drew Costigan
Blue Bells - TerrAde
Reeds - Dune
Cattails (Bullrushes) - Sonshine 777
Deer - Curious Labs

Saurav

I like the elements in the scene. In my opinion the composition could be improved by moving the deer that is sipping the water closer to the camera inorder to create more interest (with the reflection). The woods could perhaps use more ambient light or higher GI settings. The water is lovely with that dark colour. I would like to see where this heads.

Dune

Nice start, good to see my reeds  ;) But I'd change the trees for another model; the trunks are not great (repetitive texture, for one).

Henry Blewer

Dune's correct. I looked at this earlier, but could not put my finger on what bothered me. It is the trees; the bark in particular.
Saurav's suggestion is good also. I would try increasing the ambient light in the atmosphere settings myself. It's easier to use than the GI settings. GI takes a lot of trial to learn what settings to use when.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Thanks for the comments guys. I tend to agree.
Here's an update incorporating most of them. A big improvement I think.
New trees from X-frog.

Henry Blewer

This is a huge improvement. It has a much more natural look to it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Yeah, great. Now up the quality!

inkydigit

looking good, you can increase the ambient from 0 - 0.3, to lighten the shadows a little (as njeneb said earlier! I did not see this at first!!)

Kevin F

Higher quality render underway!
Thanks for the comments folks.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kevin F on July 19, 2011, 02:38:47 PM
Higher quality render underway!
Thanks for the comments folks.

Looking forward to that as it is a nice render so far! :)

Kevin F

O.K. here's a much higher res version.
Don't think I'll change the dark undergrowth areas as that's the way I intended them to be i.e. the sort of dark wooded area that deer inhabit.
Credits as before plus use of "chaps" method for the water ripple (which wasn't very successful!) from the water library.

Render details:
detail .8
AA 8
GI 2,2
RT obs - on
detail blending .5
Supersample prepass - on
time 14hr 25min.

I could do a higher version with mist hanging over the water sometime when I'm prepared to lock up the pc for a few days.

Thanks for looking and comments where made.

Tangled-Universe

Nice image Kevin :)

In case of future work: detail blending is only necessary for animations. This functions blends geometry in between frames to avoid popping and such. So for still images you can always keep it at the default of 0 as it increases rendertime otherwise.

Cheers,
Martin

Saurav

This looks much better in terms of lighting.  :)