Stone Age cult area

Started by Dune, July 23, 2011, 02:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I hope to start on a new commission; a Stone Age cult area. This is just a test I did yesterday, as it happens a night scene after some ritual. I'm afraid the scene I'm commissioned to make will cover a large area, so the cult area won't be as close by. This took about 16 simple shapes, some pops of poles and 3 tree species, hidden in the nightly darkness.

Henry Blewer

You may be able to light the scene better by including the full moon in the image. This would also provide some very dramatic dark shadows.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

freelancah

Yeah, I agree with njeneb, a glowing fullmoon would give some extra feeling and light into this.. Looking forward of seeing more!

Dune

I might try a version with a full moon, but here's an early morning or dusk version. No post, a couple of fill lights, GI 1/1, detail 0.5 and AA4, good enough for a test. Only the flowers are a bit too bright, I think.

Walli

good start, but I don´t think that the flowers are to bright.
When doing the last walk with my dog in the evening, it´s almost dark (sometimes pitch black). And when you have the slightest light, then you can start to differentiate flowers from grass (if they are white or yellow or at least brighter compared to the grass). So I think it´s okay.

Henry Blewer

I agree with Walli. Flowers, some anyway, will reflect low light off their petals than the stalks or grass nearby.

Dune

You may be right, guys. I did notice that especially bluish flowers light up in the bluish dusk light. In the meantime I have figured out that the cult area I have to make, looks different from this one, so this has now turned into a private venture  :P

Here's an update with added blue flowers (hard to see, sorry), and conical smokes.

j meyer

Is there any specific reason you made the fire places that yellow?
Just being curious.

Dune

They're not too yellow, aren't they? Fires are quite yellow.

j meyer

On my monitor and to my eyes the example fire is definitely more orange
than yellow,but maybe they had some kind of sulphur cult. ;)

otakar

I thought they are too yellow also (not just by a little) but refrained from commenting thinking it was just a stand-in. If they are just smoldering they should be more red, if they are still burning more orange, IMHO. I think the time of day is conveyed pretty well here, which is hard to do. I wonder what those rituals were.

Tangled-Universe

I think the fire is perfect.
Honestly I would rather say the fire is too white and not yellow enough rather than saying it's too yellow.
Sometimes I wonder if certain phenomena differ among places in the world :P fire is more yellow than orange if you'd ask me ;D

Henry Blewer

Maybe they can throw some copper in the fire. Make it green? ;D