Feature Request- scaling and placement

Started by TheBadger, July 24, 2011, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I now remembered how i begun to use this method !
It was because of you DandelO :D

dandelO

* A single sided imported plane won't cast a shadow for some reason, Kadri.

To get around that before, when I was making 2D trees, instead of a plane object, I made a cube that was nearly flattened on one axis, so as to keep the polys from that side of the object intact. That makes sure your shadows will still cast.
Or, use the method Greg Sandor posted in his corn plants thread some time ago, that used two planes tied into one object(like a cross-shape), so there is more than one polygon in the object. You might get some unwanted visible seams that way on each object, though, good and fast for distant shots.

dandelO

Quote from: Kadri on July 28, 2011, 02:21:26 PM

I now remembered how i begun to use this method !
It was because of you DandelO :D

And me, because of Volker! I'm sure he nodded towards using a visual scaler like this in his PF lessons thread. ;)

TheBadger

Kadri,
Thanks, really great. Its just perfect.

dandelO,
There is nothing wrong with scaled objects, nothing at all. Its just that a human standing next to a tree is far more understandable than any object. Scaling and sizing becomes more precise (I would argue). I found the figure in googles program to be indispensable in helping to place objects and the camera, and I think it will really help me make better images, more easily, with terragen. The figure will just help me make make better sense of the virtual world in terragen, thats all. :)
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on July 28, 2011, 02:28:30 PM
And me, because of Volker! I'm sure he nodded towards using a visual scaler like this in his PF lessons thread. ;)

I miss him-them (like Big Ben ...) here  :)
Thanks for the tip with the plane DandelO !

You are welcome TheBadger !

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on July 28, 2011, 02:27:01 PM
* A single sided imported plane won't cast a shadow for some reason, Kadri.
To get around that before, when I was making 2D trees, instead of a plane object, I made a cube that was nearly flattened on one axis, so as to keep the polys from that side of the object intact. That makes sure your shadows will still cast.
Or, use the method Greg Sandor posted in his corn plants thread some time ago, that used two planes tied into one object(like a cross-shape), so there is more than one polygon in the object. You might get some unwanted visible seams that way on each object, though, good and fast for distant shots.

Dandelo , i looked into this a little more.
I tried to put 2 planes side by side. There was no shadow.
Then i put one plane a little behind (the object did get z depth). The planes did not intersect.  There was a shadow.
Then i pulled just one vertices a very small amount to bring z depth to the object. It was not noticeable and looked still like a plane. There was a shadow too!

İt seems so long the object has Z depth greater then  zero we will get a shadow. 
A very small polygon that nobody can see or just a vertices that is a little outside the plane will do it.

I hope you don't mind TheBadger. I don't want to hijack your thread!

dandelO

Yes, Kadri, that's what I meant. Instead of using a plane object, use a nearly flattened cube. Then there is more than one side of the object so that shadows will be cast from it.

Indeed sorry, TheBadger. Off-topic, as usual.

TheBadger

QuoteI don't want to hijack your thread!

seems related, besides, I like reading everything you guys write. Its the only way Ill get a handle on all of this.
It has been eaten.