Dry Valley somewhere east

Started by Dune, July 27, 2011, 05:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A recent email message sparked off the inclination to try again some dry rocky stuff with a road and a river, all procedural. Another iteration is now rendering, as I'm not satisfied with the colors and amount of displacement. Also added some grass clumps in the foreground and a Himalaya shader in the distance.
I had made the mistake to not uncheck RT reflections in the riverbed, so it took ages to do the river. More coming.

Henry Blewer

Nice tank models. Did you build them? They look early 1930's.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Update, but had to compress to 75%. Only the bleached grass on the hillock in front is not yet to my taste.
The tank models I found on 3dheaven, haven't got a clue whose they are, but I won't use them commercially anyway. Just put them in here for fun... well fun  ::)

inkydigit

I like where this is going, though to me, this has a 'Western Movie' feel, and I almost expect to see some cowboys being stalked by some Apaches....
:)

choronr

Looking very good Ulco. The terrain texture and colors as well as those foreground bushes look realistic.

AP

Just one suggestion here. Place a Height Field Erode node over this area. It will take away that static terrain look.   ;)

Dune

I'll see if that would work as there is a lot going on before compute terrain. Thanks, I see what you mean.

AP

Quote from: Dune on July 30, 2011, 03:04:49 AM
I'll see if that would work as there is a lot going on before compute terrain. Thanks, I see what you mean.

Yeah, no worries.    :)

Henry Blewer

Chris, can the height field erode be used on a fractal generated terrain? For instance, just by moving the height field where you want the erosion and using the erosion operator?
I know this works for terrain generated using the height field generate. I have used it there. (It takes quite a while on large height fields with my old P4 system. I have avoided it because of that).

AP

Quote from: njeneb on July 31, 2011, 08:10:23 AM
Chris, can the height field erode be used on a fractal generated terrain? For instance, just by moving the height field where you want the erosion and using the erosion operator?
I know this works for terrain generated using the height field generate. I have used it there. (It takes quite a while on large height fields with my old P4 system. I have avoided it because of that).

You have to plug the terrain fractal into the shader input of the height field node then you put the erode node after that one of course. Just keep the area generated by the fractals into the height field node small enough to where you can see the local erosion with the vicinity of the foreground hills you have there and of course leave the non-eroded fractals on your background alone as they are. I hope this makes sense.   

Henry Blewer

Yep. I was hoping to just move the height field and use the erode operator. Thanks Chris.