Shadow pass

Started by ndeewolfwood, August 04, 2011, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndeewolfwood

ok thanks.

I will try this even i guess that the polycount will be insane.
:D

JimB

The trick is to not just jump in and output a mesh that's the same quality and resolution as your high-rez render, i.e., do seperate renders for the mesh alone with lights, GI, shadows, atmosphere switched off at lower resolution and/or quality, and see what output mesh suits your needs. If your camera's locked off you could animate the quality and resolution settings for multiple mesh outputs in one go from a sequence.

Render Node > Sequence Output > Micro Exporter > Create new micro handler > LWO Micro Exporter.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Matt

Hi Jim,

I'd recommend the general "Micro Exporter" instead of the LWO Micro Exporter which may be phased out. The Micro Exporter can export OBJ or LWO (or even TGO if there's any use in that).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Bobby, we are working on multi-element output which is similar to what you're talking about, and we might give the option to put the elements into a multi-channel EXR or possibly PSD. I believe PSD would be more limited in terms of HDR for exposure adjustments (can anyone correct me on this?) but I realise it's more convenient for many people.

ndeewolfwood

sounds good. can't wait to use this. This is a major feature who will help a lot.

I don't think there's any kind of limitation in hdr tweaking with .psd but photoshop is not  very 32bits friendly but you can do a lot with it.

You right, i think that many user will love .psd output but multichannel .exr must be the first thing to do. 

bobbystahr

Thanks for the reply Matt, looks positive. Having experimented with Multi Pass in Imagine3D and as it's the industry standard technique for compositing I, even tho I have no animation goals, see a lot of possibilities for still work as well. I only discovered .exr's abilities in this thread and would recommend trying to get bot formats active for the broadest user availability.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

JimB

Thanks Matt. Force of habit.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Matt

Good to know TG is your habit!   :D

AP

Quote from: Matt on August 08, 2011, 07:54:27 PM
Bobby, we are working on multi-element output which is similar to what you're talking about, and we might give the option to put the elements into a multi-channel EXR or possibly PSD. I believe PSD would be more limited in terms of HDR for exposure adjustments (can anyone correct me on this?) but I realise it's more convenient for many people.

I have Photoshop CS and i am quite certain that 32bit data can be imbedded into a .psd file. Should not be an issue i think.

bobbystahr

AhHa...I only have CS2 so I did not know this...must find the cash to get up to speed...I got this far on a job that bought it for me but now I need another one...maybe one that can get me a full TG2 as well while I'm wishing here, heh heh heh.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist