update on info request

Started by TheBadger, August 04, 2011, 03:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello.

Could not find the thread, but a while ago staff told (maybe it was just a hint) me that they were doing a lot of work in terms of information and instructional material, I assume including tutorials and such. If I am remembering correctly anyway, (I am). So my question is hows it going? Whats coming down the pipeline?

I ask with some eagerness because while I am still making progress with TG2 through these forums and on my own, progress is real slow. And I am having a bit of trouble moving  very far beyond the basics. I guess I am starting to wonder if I should have invested this amount of time and energy in max, or something with lots of instructional stuff already available. I mean I look at the images others are making and I think to myself, "Hey, thats some great looking stuff their doing!" :o, And then I think, "To dam bad I cant get my ideas out!" >:( I do like that I have smily faces to better express my self with, thats helpful.

So, just asking.

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

You're probably referring to the move of the Node Reference into a wiki format which we accomplished a month or two ago. The info is still in the process of being updated and fleshed out, some areas have very little info still, but there's more there than there was before, and it continues to improve: http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Terragen_2_Node_Reference

We're also working on finishing the base User Guide. Part 1 is done, part 2 will cover the basics of using the different layouts and setup of major scene elements, e.g. terrain, water, lighting. We have some plans for additional educational material as well, but it's a bit too early to talk about that.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Hi Oshyan, thanks.

I have learned A LOT from this forum in the last few weeks (work time, not real time) So I'm feeling a whole lot better about terragen2. Hope you did not find my OP to bitchy ::)

I would say that between John's tutorials "tower" and "for the terrified" I learned how to make just about any kind of environment I can imagine. And the posters who have answered my questions (you know who you are) have really helped me move from a know nothing to a not so stupid end user.

All that remains now is for someone to make a tutorial that can help me (and others) get beyond the basics, something that will help us learn how to really get realism into are shots, and utilize Terragen for all it can do. Mostly I just want to be able to stand on my own two feet (in a fictitious terrain of my own making, where the voices in my head will feel at home) ;D I feel like it needs to be a how-to kind of thing, a step by step. Trial and error and posting questions is effective, but not time efficient.

Anyway, TG2 is a great program!!! It is exactly what I need, to do the work I bought it for. So thank you planetside staff and forum posters, you do a great job!

It has been eaten.