A fresh start

Started by Artistico, August 23, 2011, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artistico

I just started using Terragen this weekend, and so far I find it highly enjoyable. The possibilities might seem overwhelming as you start, and also a bit confusing as it takes a while to build up that intuitive feeling as to what works, what doesn't, and sometimes simply to figure out how something works in the first place. I love learning new things that way.

It seems that there is quite a vibrant and inclusive community of Terragen artists here, though, and I am looking forward to figuring out new things and taking part in these forums.

Here is my first picture - still some work needs to be done on it to add more levels of detail, and I am thinking of replacing the tree with a cairn, but it is quite satisfying being able to make something like this after just a few hours of dabbling.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
www.galleryhakon.com

Seth

oh nice light ! and very good composition too
with more details on the ground surfaces it could be a killer

Seth

I'll keep this tree if I were you ^^

Artistico

Yes, I might keep the tree. It is growing on me - well, not literally. I do intend to add more levels of detail to the surface. There's still very little added there apart from the basic terrain and just one shader for snow, one for grass, one for the shoreline of the lake. In short, there is still a lot more work to be done.

I think it's an interesting landscape and a nice viewpoint, though, which is a good start.
www.galleryhakon.com

jbest

Your first picture? Looks really nice, man!

I like the placement of your tree ;)
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

JoeRoberts

I think the shadow of the tree must be darker because shade on the tree itself is darker than the shade on the rock. The pic looks good though.

Dune

I don't see any shadow of the tree. It falls within the shadowed side of the rock.

Henry Blewer

Nice work. You are catching on quickly. I think from reading your posts, that you'll be showing us new things very soon.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

great start indeed...look forward to the next one!

Artistico

Thanks for nice replies.

I agree that a shadow of the tree might make it a bit more interesting, so I might change the light a bit to accommodate that idea. Also I need some more detail level in the general landscape, so I'll look into that too. I think it's a good starting point, though, and I'll spend some time working on other tutorials and just playing around with settings to get more of a feel for Terragen before finishing it, I think.

www.galleryhakon.com