Started by dandelO, August 11, 2011, 04:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airflamesred

"It could be curtains" Mrs Walker

Fred Gee, Coronation street

neon22

really excellent work

Dune

QuoteIf I could make TG whistle half as good as Dune. I'd be very, very happy!

:D :D :D :D

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Splus12

Well, I am quite taken aback.  I joined this forum in order to learn how to use TG2 better and when I read this post about a subject that I was interested in, I thought I would make a quick comment.  The next thing I know is people are being called names and now I don't know what to think.  I guess now that I have said my peace, I'll just drift back into the dark and shut-up and let you big people carry on your conversation undisturbed.

Ken
Ken

airflamesred

@splus12
I'm fairly sure the comment was not aimed at you. I think some spam had been posted, and that has now been removed leaving the situation where Dune (at first sight) seems to be comenting on your post. I suspect thats not the case.
Although there are some high brow topics here everyone is welcome to join in.

Kadri

Quote from: Splus12 on August 14, 2011, 04:55:43 AM
Well, I am quite taken aback.  I joined this forum in order to learn how to use TG2 better and when I read this post about a subject that I was interested in, I thought I would make a quick comment.  The next thing I know is people are being called names and now I don't know what to think.  I guess now that I have said my peace, I'll just drift back into the dark and shut-up and let you big people carry on your conversation undisturbed.
Ken

I saw the spam post after your post , Ken. Then it was removed.
And believe me Ken , Dune is absolutely not that kind of a person that would say such a thing to a user.

Henry Blewer

We all work together to improve our skill. Some are very skilled. Don't be put off by someone being obnoxious. It really does not happen often.
Now if you were looking for deals on online pharmacological products, that's another story. The forum moderators are kept very busy removing these posts.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

I can confirm also that Dune was referring to a spam post that appeared in my thread.

Splus12, please do not feel that it was aimed towards you. It most certainly wasn't. The following reply from Dune about his post will hopefully clarify this and put your mind at ease. http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12936.msg128367#msg128367

And I'm glad you think it looks very promising(the original post, I mean), I hope it will be, too, eventually.
Thanks a lot, everyone.

Martin. :)

* My comments after about 'Dune, the talentless fool' was simply a joke tying in with another recent thread.
One of my(and everyone's, I suspect) forms of inspiration and awe on this forum is viewing Dune's images. And he's a very friendly gentleman, too!

Splus12

I need to say I'm sorry for blowing up like that.  I want to attribute it to too much stress and not enough sleep.  Martin and Ulco, I really appreciate the information you two post on this site.  I've also seen the websites for both of you and like the work you do.  If I can get my thoughts sorted out properly and put on paper, I would like to contribute to this idea of breaking waves. 

Ken
Ken

Hetzen

Don't believe a word of it Splus. These reprobates are wanted in 12 systems. ;D

I really like the 'flick' you've got in those shapes Martin. Any ideas on how you'll control the 'after flick' into foam?

On a general note, I challenge anyone to show a picture of a wave showing an obvious over lapping curl from a camera not in the water of a non Hawaiian surfing wave.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, because it does, but from a distance on most shore waves, you'd never notice it. Quite simply for most vistas, you want a wave that starts to rise, then begins to foam at it's front peak that resolves into flat foam at the shore.

Unless you want to see some guy on a surf board, I think the panacea of wave curl in shore surf is a wasted exercise. The challenge is to get something convincing that will work against our displaced shores that the eye doesn't say 'hang on, that's bollox'.

You need a steep front wave, that Martin has demonstrated, that crashes into foam and rises up the shore.

dandelO

Hi, Jon. I've not considered the breaking on the shore yet. Mainly, what I was concentrating on was how to produce the 'flick', as you call it.
A transition from that flick to flat water afterwards is definitely required.

The roll-over of the top of the wave, if anyone is interested to try their own approach, comes from rotating the sine in the direction of the water's course. I'm looking East/West in the first preview so, now that transform rotation is available, I thought to rotate the sine along the X axis. That's what is happening here. First the wave displaces upwards by a sin function, then this function feeds a separate channel that rotates the sine and redirects this in negative X, after the initial vertical displacement. The rotation is creating the curling.

Had a couple of busy days, I'll get back to it shortly...

dandelO

Danny Gordon showed me this the other day elsewhere, which prompted me to give the rotation idea a go in TG...

http://www.kenmusgrave.com/wave.mpg

That's entirely created in Mojoworld, in 1999, apparently!

Splus12

I agree with Hetzen that the majority of shore waves are not of the curling or tubular variety, but are whats known as sliding or plunging waves.  This is exactly what Martin has illustrated, and now that he has explained some of the math I understand it even more.  I think what makes the wave more believable is when the wave closest to the shore (primary wave) that is breaking or about to break is the tallest of the set with all of the following waves in the period being fractional in size to the primary wave.  There are other sine waves that also help shape the primary wave set.  There is a sine wave caused by shore reflection that is in an angular direction of xz with no y component, and another that is in xy or yz or xyz caused by topographical reflection from the shoreline bottom structure.  I really suck at math so I can't think of any formulae to illustrate what I'm talking about, but I can fully visualize it in my head.  Probably why I got an Art degree instead of continuing my studies in Geology.  Hopefully this is not too confusing.

Ken
Ken

Pentagular Dark

What if you somehow made the waves locally radial sine waves. (Redirect shader hmmm..?) With a get altitude for wave intensity pop it in a scene
GAH!!! Don't look down here! Look at the posts man!