"TGD.exe has encountered a problem" repeatable - HELP!

Started by Kevin F, April 09, 2007, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

So, after my 80hrs+ render going down the pan (see earlier post), I decided to render in cropped chunks and composit together. All went well till area 4 (see attached pic). Each time I render this area I get "TGD.exe has encountered a problem" at the same point. Repeated 6 times! The only way I've managed to get a full render in one go is to lower the quality settings from Q 0.5, AA 3, GI 2,2, to Q 0.2, AA1, and QI 1&1. on attached pic.
tdg file attached for anybody fool enough to try it! You don't need the OBJ since it crashes with and without it, and the fake stones images shouldn't be needed?
Any help or ideas appreciated.
Kevin.

Kevin F

? these didn't get sent!

sonshine777

We definitly need the terrain file named baybeach.ter (right now the terrain if flat without it). And it would be good to know what size the images are that you used for the fake rocks as they could impact the render.

Oshyan

Wow, this looks like a superb image in the making! It's unfortunate about the crashing. Just from seeing all the reflection I'm going to guess that's the culprit as reflection functions are still quite buggy (this area is going to be completely overhauled in the future). Interreflections are a particular source of problems, so if you have high roughness/displacement on your reflective layer, or perhaps reflectivity on the fake stones, that might be related.

- Oshyan

Kevin F

Quote from: sonshine777 on April 09, 2007, 03:49:00 PM
We definitly need the terrain file named baybeach.ter (right now the terrain if flat without it). And it would be good to know what size the images are that you used for the fake rocks as they could impact the render.

O.K. here are all the files: BUT the original baybeach.ter file is too big to send (2,400K) so I dug out terragen 0.9 and resized it from 1024 x 1024 to 512 x512, and then zipped it. So you'll have to resize up again?
Thanks for your help.
Kevin

Kevin F

Quote from: Oshyan on April 09, 2007, 05:08:56 PM
Wow, this looks like a superb image in the making! It's unfortunate about the crashing. Just from seeing all the reflection I'm going to guess that's the culprit as reflection functions are still quite buggy (this area is going to be completely overhauled in the future). Interreflections are a particular source of problems, so if you have high roughness/displacement on your reflective layer, or perhaps reflectivity on the fake stones, that might be related.

- Oshyan

Yeah, the quality of the image is what made me persevere. At full size I think it's possibly my best ever! The roughness is less than half the scale - 0.04xxx and the displacement is set to default values. But I do have the water shader on the fake stones.
The curious thing is that it always crashes at the same point and the last time I had an error message saying "the instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read". Iv'e not had memory issues before - running on 2Gig.
Kevin.

Oshyan

Reflection issues do tend to manifest consistently in specific parts of an image. And they are also detail-dependent, as you've found in this case. Depending on what kind of shader you're using for the reflectivity you might try using a different approach - both the Reflective Shader and Water Shader can create a similar effect but both also react differently to the crash-prone issues and have different adjustments (such as Quality and Ray Traced Reflections in the Reflection Shader) that may be adjusted to work around the crash. In general lower quality levels will be more stable.

- Oshyan

sonshine777

I am trying the render (the cropped area right?) with the GI set to 0 so far so good.

I will let you know.

sonshine777

Kevin,

There is something in there that makes it want to crash. I went
on Oshyan's  prognosis that it was all of the reflections and made some
adjustments to the water shader. I got it to render about a third of the
way into the sector that always crashes but to no avail, I did it and cutting
all of the settings in the water shader by half I also lowered both of the GI to 0.
I don't know how far the render got on that sector you before it would crash
so I'm not sure if I made any headway or not.

You might try a different seed number for the fake stones to see if it will move them
around a little.

I have a couple of other things I will try and let you know what I find.

Kevin F

Quote from: sonshine777 on April 09, 2007, 07:01:27 PM
I am trying the render (the cropped area right?) with the GI set to 0 so far so good.

I will let you know.

Yeah, thats right - area 4.
I've managed a bit more by breaking down area4 into smaller chunks! at this rate I'll be cropping individual pixcels!
the re-seed of the stones sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for your efforts