An unusual 4x4 NWDA promo - Winners on page 2

Started by FrankB, August 22, 2011, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

I think pretty much the same as Dune, Bob. I'd probably also tighten up the group of trees to make them more densely packed(or extend them further back to make it look more dense.

The foreground tree definitely lacks the detail for this close-up shot, I'd lose that one, or replace it with a better model.

Nice to see a person in one of your shots this time. :)

TheBadger

@choronr

Excellent ground cover work though, the shore and stones are great too. Just make the scale changes and perhaps just a hint more light and I'll wish I had made it.
It has been eaten.

choronr

Thanks Ulco. Martin and TB; I'll try a make-over and get it done in enough time. Thelby and Inkydigit had made almost the same comments - appreciate all you guys.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on August 29, 2011, 03:21:49 AM
Some crits, Bob, if you don't mind (stated rather bluntly, sorry for that): your grass is floating, the figure is much too big and/or your trees are much too small, the detail of the tree up front isn't the best to show/use. And you should give your tree objects just a tiny angle of 2-3 degrees. It will be a great one though, I'm sure.
Ulco, checked carefully and don't find any grass 'floating'. Maybe you're referring to the occasional dried grass?

FrankB

Hi Bob, first of all: a good first shot! I really like the colors and I love the greens in the right part especially. I haven't seen the floating grasses at first either, but there are some. Check out this screenshot https://img.skitch.com/20110829-gta5ew9temp9pjf8wxsp4ajsc4.jpg

Regards,
Frank

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on August 29, 2011, 01:39:19 PM
Hi Bob, first of all: a good first shot! I really like the colors and I love the greens in the right part especially. I haven't seen the floating grasses at first either, but there are some. Check out this screenshot https://img.skitch.com/20110829-gta5ew9temp9pjf8wxsp4ajsc4.jpg

Regards,
Frank
Thank you Frank. I think some of you guys can actually see bacteria ...lol. Odd that this would happen - will work on. it. I've just begun to revamp the image; will have some interruptions today; but, will keep up with it over the next few. Hopefully will have something by Wednesday.

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on August 29, 2011, 01:49:44 PM
Thank you Frank. I think some of you guys can actually see bacteria ...lol. ...

Yeah. Must be a dutch thing actually. It's typically either Martin H. or Ulco who see stuff like that ;)

Hetzen

Regards,
Frank
Thank you Frank. I think some of you guys can actually see bacteria ...lol. Odd that this would happen - will work on. it. I've just begun to revamp the image; will have some interruptions today; but, will keep up with it over the next few. Hopefully will have something by Wednesday.

Lol. A way of fixing this, is by 1/ setting your Compute Terrain patch size to say 2m and 2/ setting the translation of the grass object inside the populator to say -0.3 in the Y axis. You may want to increase the blade length to compensate.

***EDIT*** Just noticed this is probably a NDWA grass clump, in which case the above holds true, except not being able to increase the blade length.

Nice image btw.

Cheers

Jon

choronr

Quote from: Hetzen on August 29, 2011, 02:32:25 PM

Regards,
Frank

Lol. A way of fixing this, is by 1/ setting your Compute Terrain patch size to say 2m and 2/ setting the translation of the grass object inside the populator to say -0.3 in the Y axis. You may want to increase the blade length to compensate.

***EDIT*** Just noticed this is probably a NDWA grass clump, in which case the above holds true, except not being able to increase the blade length.

Nice image btw.

Cheers

Jon
Thanks Jon, appreciate the tip. In the translate, all I think I need to do is reduce the 'Y' number a little bit ...we'll see. And, yes, the grass clumps are from NWDA.

Dune

And Bob, have the sit on the last shader in line before planet instead of the default compute terrain. Sometimes you have a smoothing effect or displacement along the line, which will then be calculated as well.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on August 30, 2011, 02:18:16 AM
And Bob, have the sit on the last shader in line before planet instead of the default compute terrain. Sometimes you have a smoothing effect or displacement along the line, which will then be calculated as well.
Thanks Ulco. Have diddled with the grass clumps earlier this evening; and, I think I've got it. Will do some tests with your suggestion and compare the differences. Appreciate this.

choronr

This is just a quick render for now until I shake out all the flaws thanks to you guys. Here is what I did:

•   Corrected the floating grass.
•   Resized the figure.
•   Resized the trees and pushed them back further into the background.
•   Added some angle to the trees.
•   Tightened up the spacing of the trees making them appear more dense.
•   Replaced the framing tree in the upper left corner.
•   Still considering increasing the sunlight strength.

So here is the improvement ...hopefully.

Bob

Dune

I still see some floating grass, right in the middle, near the water's edge. Perhaps add another compute terrain or normal after the last node and sit your grass on that. And I'm not very fond of this light, it's a very dark image now, and I think it's nicer when a little 'fresher'. Perhaps have the light come from the left and shine onto the trees and the figure? This is just my personal opinion, I'm not the person who commissioned it, so you can just ignore me  :D
Did you check the height of man and trees with a landmark? I still think the trees lack height/volume, it's too uniform. Perhaps a larger difference in heights makes it a more diverse wood as well. I think it wouldn't be bad if some (or many) trees extend beyond the top of the image.

Mor

This is developing nicely. Foreground looks great. My only critic is the size of pines. I think their height could be doubled.

FrankB

Unless Choronr hasn't reduced the size of the trees, there is nothing wrong with the height of them. They are just fine out of the box.
I think it's more in the sizes of the other scene elements: the large rocks... how big are they? The boy? How tall is he? The grasses? Have their scales been increased? These are the real questions that will lead to getting all fit together nicely in the end :)

Cheers,
Frank