rotating an image map

Started by mhaze, September 03, 2011, 11:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Hi All

Tried everything I can think of - so how do I rotate an image map?

Mick

freelancah

mhaze

yep but 1) not sure how to use it 2) cannot get any result

freelancah

Hmm..What projection method are you using? It might help if you show a screenie of what you have and want to do too

mhaze

orthographic camera and through camera projection.  Ihave an image map of footsteps going into the displacement input of a surface shader

mhaze

here's an image

freelancah

I'm not 100% but I suspect you cant use transform shader to rotate camera projections, the only solution would be to rotate the projection camera itself or change the projection type to PlanY

mhaze

thanks anyway, I just realized myself that I can rotate the camera and that does it - that could be really useful in the future why didn't I think of that before so simple and so obvious. Hah

dandelO

Yes, that's right. To rotate an image map with a transform shader you need to use one of the 'planned' projection methods.

I'd think you want the footsteps to go between the mounds in the preview? To do that, use the 'Y' value in your camera's 'rotation' field to turn the image with the camera view, looks to me to be about an extra -15 to -25 degrees you'll need.

dandelO

Doink! You beat me to the post, mhaze. :)

mhaze

that's life ;)

Thanks all the solution came to me through you prodding me to rethink

Dune

Here's another solution.

mhaze

Interesting will this rotate other shaders too?

dandelO

Sure will, that's how I made this little whirlwind, before rotation controls were available in the transform shader, I rotated a fractal blended by a simple shape shader(the better examples are on page 2)... http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10895.0