Black Terrain

Started by ProjectX, April 13, 2007, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectX

Hey guys, I think I've seen this asked before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Sunlight doesn't seem to be having any effect at all on the surfaces in my image. I've got a standard light setup (not changed any light or atmos. settings yet) and I haven't fiddled with render settings either but I do have some sexeh displacement.

I've checked and I know that the sun is not being blocked by terrain or clouds (no clouds) but the light doesn't touch the terrain at all.

If this isn't a common problem and you think the .tgd needs examining, just say and I'll post it.

rcallicotte

I have seen this when there is a gross distortion from a out-of-control fractal displacement.  You probably need to go through the list of your shaders and figure out where this is happening.  If this is the problem, it is likely just before your Terrain Normal.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ProjectX

hmm... one thing I've found that causes it is utting vales lower than 0.01 in fractals.

not a good idea.

Oshyan

Having very small values for scale can cause this problem, as ProjectX mentioned. Otherwise it's hard to point to any specific cause without looking at the .tgd.

- Oshyan