Tree Tutorial?

Started by King Mango, September 27, 2011, 07:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Mango

Hi, I am having trouble finding information on how to introduce a tree population to my scene. I have some of the free xFrog samples to use.

I have added a population, chosen the mature caucasian fir, and they do not show up in first render.

I have fiddled with many of the settings and have yet to see a single tree much less a smattering as I expected by default.

Also, why is it so hard to find tutorials for this version of TG??? Unbelievable! :cheers:

P.S. Hiya Osh :D

King Mango

uh, figured it out...
When I did not get results I upped the object spacing thinking that would increase density. A lower number does the trick and I am now able to fiddle and see the results of the adjustments...

My next question would be, can I create a radial mask to limit the population's distance from my camera?

jamfull

You'll want to use a distance shader as your distribution shader's blending shader. (Make sure to plug in the proper camera)

James

King Mango

Ah thank you. Worked a treat. :cheers:

Tangled-Universe

You can also use "clip to camera" in the populator node to restrict the population to the camera's view/frustum.
(make sure the camera FOV is vertical when you render a portrait image and horizontal when you render a landscape image, otherwise the clipping is not accurate).

Cheers,
Martin

King Mango

Oh thank you I noticed that setting and wanted to look it up. Any effect on a square image? I am getting back into game level design and am experimenting with skybox textures. Though I suppose that is something I can find out for myself.
I have noticed that once you get over the initial hurdle of the basic ideas behind the architecture of the system, you can make very quick progress.
I have a fairly short laundry list now :D