Kepler 16b

Started by blackcat, September 17, 2011, 10:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcat

Kepler 16b, the recently discovered exoplanet that orbits a binary star system.

Fredric

It is not bad but it is not great either!
Working the surfaces , again ! And can reduce the displacement !
it's just my opinion ! ;)
Nothing Is Created Everything Is Transformed !
Deviantart
Render
Rendus3d

TheBlackHole

Pretty good. The only thing I'd do is turn off GI. Since there's no atmosphere, there shouldn't be much ambient light.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

blackcat

Quote from: TheBlackHole on September 17, 2011, 12:14:35 PM
Pretty good. The only thing I'd do is turn off GI. Since there's no atmosphere, there shouldn't be much ambient light.

Like on the earth's moon, there is a great amount of fill light from reflective surfaces.

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

blackcat

Quote from: Fredric on September 17, 2011, 11:12:51 AM
It is not bad but it is not great either!
Working the surfaces , again ! And can reduce the displacement !
it's just my opinion ! ;)

Thanks for the comment! I'm in something of a quandary about it, however. The topography is actually realistic for a satellite the size of, say, Phoebe, Hyperion or Enceladus (on which latter it is based). But...if it looks strange or, even worse, wrong, then all the accuracy in the world is for naught. It's a problem I run across all the time when doing astronomical art. I'll see what happens if I reduce the displacement a little---perhaps I can find a point where it is still correct but isn't perceived as being wrong.

blackcat

Quote from: TheBlackHole on September 17, 2011, 12:41:01 PM
Forgot about that. xD

I forgive you!  ;)

Actually, it's something that's very easy to overlook. One of the big arguments the "Apollo-was-a-hoax" conspiracy nuts use is the fact that the shaded sides of objects in the Apollo photos are not only not dark, they are well-lit. They forget that there is a huge light source other than the sun: the surrounding landscape. Light from that fills in the shadows on rocks, spacecraft and astronauts.

Fredric

QuoteThanks for the comment! I'm in something of a quandary about it, however. The topography is actually realistic for a satellite the size of, say, Phoebe, Hyperion or Enceladus (on which latter it is based). But...if it looks strange or, even worse, wrong, then all the accuracy in the world is for naught. It's a problem I run across all the time when doing astronomical art. I'll see what happens if I reduce the displacement a little---perhaps I can find a point where it is still correct but isn't perceived as being wrong.

If I advise you to decrease the displace, it is for avoided typical crackle of extreme displace.
I keep the same tint for surfaces. And varying only the clear and dark tones as well as by modifying Fractal breakup, Coverage and Fuzzy zones ! Sorry for my English...
Nothing Is Created Everything Is Transformed !
Deviantart
Render
Rendus3d

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Markal

A very cool image, I like it. How much is TG2 and how much postwork???

inkydigit

pretty neat....crazy looking world, nice to see from here, though!

Xynedia

choronr

Excellent space art. The light accentuates the detail of the terrain you created which is very good.