twist and shear + distribution = fun :)

Started by child@play, April 12, 2007, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

allright, here's another experiment, you could see it's use in my last image already.

here are some quick renders to show how it works, and how exact the turns can be.
unfortunately i didn't save the tgd, i'll make a new one after finishing another render.
you can go very far with this and get some crazy results, stonewalls looking like breaking waves etc
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Will

Wow thats pretty cool. gotta check that out.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

DeathTwister

Your just using the twist and shear shader no others?

Wow I have not been able to do that or how Rich2 gets his either, need to work on that more if that is the only shader, so far all I could do is get it to lean over like a one legged human, hahahahaha /chuckles...would love to take a look at that tgd file /smiles......

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

child@play

yes, just twist and shear on a fractal terrain. here's the new tgd, okay, not the same result as in the images, because i had to do it quick, but you can see the effect and how it works.
basically it's twist and shear taking effect at different height-levels of the terrain, you can modify the t&s's to get the formation you want, and you only need to set a minimum heigth in the distr-shader. playing around with the fuzzy zone should make the turns softer/harder, and so does lean-factor. just be carefull with negative values for y here, you'll run into getting artifacts

edit: oh, and originally i had this idea from your overhang-image from the contest :) reminds me that i wanted to render that image i made, hehe
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

DeathTwister

Hay der,

Quoteedit: oh, and originally i had this idea from your overhang-image from the contest Smiley reminds me that i wanted to render that image i made, hehe

Haha, glad we insire each other haha, thanks, ya I got some good stuff there, but I have been having trouble being able to just mess with a small area that show twist, and yours and Rich2's has what I been looking 4.  Thanks, I will take a look at it later after I finish rendering what is in the oven now /smiles......I will post it later.

Quotebasically it's twist and shear taking effect at different height-levels of the terrain, you can modify the t&s's to get the formation you want, and you only need to set a minimum heigth in the distr-shader. playing around with the fuzzy zone should make the turns softer/harder, and so does lean-factor. just be carefull with negative values for y here, you'll run into getting artifacts

Ah-Ha so that is the trick  ::) :D ;) very cool, this should be fun, I'll post back here after I get a chance to play with it in the next day or 2 /smiles...Thanks Child@Play /bows. Time to make dinner now for me and the kiddies, meaning my Dogs before they eat me /wry smiles.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

child@play

you're welcome :) have fun, i'm looking forward to see the results

dhavalmistry

here is my effort
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

child@play

very cool dhav  ;D i like that the mountain tops still look real, looks like god scratched the planet too hard on his last live-dj-gig :)

dhavalmistry

Holes in terrain??

old_blaggard

Thanks for sharing that stuff!  Those are some pretty cool looking images, and I can't wait to dig into this .tgd file.  As for your holes, dhavalmistry, they appeared for me too when using the Twist and Shear shader in an extreme way, and as far as I know there is no fix.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

those hole gave me a good idea for final render...check out image sharing section....

DiscoBall

Oh nice! You could make caves out of those holes, couldn't you? ;)

dhavalmistry

no...so far I cant create caves out of the holes.....

DeathTwister

Hahah, those are amazingly cool, I love them.

I think the holes are artifacts that get messed up with using the shader at extreams, but dang they are cool if you can get them to go your way , hahaha /smiles.  I love this program, it just gets more fun each day as we get a better handle on it, and it is also hella cool and very fun to be able to share with each other.  Very cool. /smiles... ;D

Still waiting for a sunrise Lake render to finish and I will dive into this more and the orbital render more. wow the rendering sure needs help though /winks, but OMG the effect is worth it. I can't wait to play with these setting and see what yup.

OOh an old friend of mine has a great DVD out, "Man of the Year", go get it if you have not seen it, hes awesome in it and reflects all of what I think is wrong with the US. Robin Williams and I went to junior Coledge when we were young, and he gave me a quip in one of his "Mork and Mindy shows", long time ago now........I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants, and it is very right on the money. ::)

DT
ATOMIX Productions