Can i.. with painted shader

Started by Oona, October 03, 2011, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmahbee

oh man that sux...what do you use now to do that kind of thing?

bobbystahr

Quote from: jimmahbee on March 15, 2013, 01:12:47 PM
oh man that sux...what do you use now to do that kind of thing?

the Paint shader works well...kind like painting terrains in old terragen. Paint the river on the top down view and then in the terrain editor use the paint shader output in a displacement shader and displace in the negative..  ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jimmahbee

thanx for you reply...I'll have to try and figure out what and where the displacement shaders and input and outputs and all that stuff are...! lol

jimmahbee

I think I figured it out...my computer keeps crashing so I'll try again late...thanx again...Jim :'(

bobbystahr

Quote from: jimmahbee on March 15, 2013, 05:46:40 PM
I think I figured it out...my computer keeps crashing so I'll try again late...thanx again...Jim :'(
here's a sample project that if you inspect all the editors you'll see what goes where. Just extract the folder to where you keep your projects...image maps are pathed to that dir..  ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jimmahbee

Oh wow that's so cool of you...thanx...

jo

Hi,

In case you haven't seen it, there's a guide for the Painted shader here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Painted_Shader_Guide

There is an example project showing how you can use the Painted shader to create displacement.

Regards,

Jo

jimmahbee

thanx so much again...I read the wiki but I still don't understand something...after I paint how do i tell terragen to use that paint to displace something like making a canyon...what are the steps...keeping in mind I don't know where to go to find all these shaders and displacement stuff...?

P.s. thanx for your help...I really appreciate it...I also need a tutorial about getting my lightwave objects into Terragen fully textured and colored and a tutorial about the rocks in Terragen...the ones I make look horrible but if I use the fake stone shader? it looks good...

mhall

Did you download any of the example .tgd files in the linked wiki page?

They include full example scenes that show you where to hook things.

~Micheal

jimmahbee

oh ok I'll check there...thanx again

jimmahbee

Hate to bother but I have a pressing question...I need to get my lightwave objects into Terragen or Terragen terrains into lightwave...if I send my LW obj into terragen the subdivided surfaces are no longer smooth (can Terragen handle sub ds?) if I import Terragen terrains, LW has a problem keeping the mesh looking good even if I bump up the sub ds to 50 in the objects properties. Is there a solution or should I use some other terrain generating software or can this be fixed by adjusting file output? Is there a tutorial I can watch on the subject? Thanx for all ur help...Jim

Dune

You can take your object through (free) Poseray (adjust stuff if needed, or not), and save as object (.obj), which I think is easier to import in TG2.

Oshyan

I believe importing an object from Lightwave should preserve fidelity, unless it's a limitation of the poly count in the geometry export. If you're importing to Terragen as LWO, perhaps the normals are not preserved and object smoothing doesn't work (or it is due to the limitation of geometry in a single LWO object file). I would suggest using OBJ. If you're already importing as OBJ, then it could be an issue with the OBJ formatting and the PoseRay suggestion from Dune could help.

- Oshyan

jimmahbee

Thanx for your speedy replies...I really appreciate them...well nothing has worked so far...I've turned my model into triangles...exported them as objs, exported them as 3dstudio max files...everything I can think to do...I upped the smoothing in Terragen, upped the anti aliasing...nothing really worked...it's odd because I even opened them in vue xstream and nothing works...there's still this weird sharp edge...I've included the LW render of how it's supposed to look

Oshyan

Wait, so you're saying it doesn't work when exported and viewed in Vue either? Does the export look correct in *any* other application? It sounds like it might be a problem with the way Lightroom is exporting geometry. Did you try Poseray?

- Oshyan