Fire

Started by TheBadger, September 22, 2012, 01:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello.

Has anyone an idea how to create fire in TG2?

I have seen the idea of fire, like in the light from a volcano. And a nuclear explosion that I am guessing used clouds.
Any info and links on those two things would be helpful.

But what I am really looking for is a way to create believable flames. Even just starting with a single flame like one would see on a lit candle. I am also open to importing some kind of object so long as it can be animated.

With respect to an imported object I was thinking that it could be animated in the same way that DandelO animated plants to show wind.

Any Ideas or thoughts on this one?

I guess what we really need is some plug-ins. But in the meantime I would like to figure something workable out.

Thanks guys.
It has been eaten.

Dune

You'd have to use clouds with an upward fractal (Y stretched and warped), raise the ambient to a fire color, perhaps mix two quite identical cloud layers with different colors. But I'm sure there are more methods. I think Dandel0 once made something as well. I'll fix you some start in a minute........

Klas

A cloud layer, a light, an an object around the light source can give some nice results. I have done this here: http://www.terralights.de/terralightsII/coppermine/displayimage/album=126/pid=3727.html

masonspappy

I like what Klas did, even to the point of illuminating the surrounding clouds.

Dune

The principle... I mean, one way of doing this. The clouds need work.

cyphyr

I think to get truly believable flames your best bet would be to use an alpha clipped image map of some real flames (you could use an image sequence).
There's some images in this thread from a few years ago that may help.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

Hi, Michael. I posted the .tgd in this thread for the image in the first post... http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=9033.msg96387#msg96387

You'll find the .tgd in reply#7. :)

TheBadger

Thanks Much guys!

I did not think there would be so many people who have tried this already, because I had not seen those threads or images.

Klass
The explosion looks rather good! Girls are nice too  :-X I think you are using DAZ for the figures? If so please think about doing a workflow tut. I know there are a lot of people who would like to see one. And as far as I know, you have done the most images with people in them.

Richard
The flames you did look good. But by the end of the thread you dropped the fire. Did you make anymore images with flames?

Ulco,
Thanks a lot I got the file and will be taking a close look soon.

Martin
Thanks again. I got something emensilly ambitious in mind. Mostly its going to combine techniques others have developed in a way I have not seen in the forums before. And like the last thing you helped me with I am sure it will work, just not how to do it yet. Let me know if your interested in another challenge! I'll try to take it as far as I can on my own first though.
It has been eaten.

Dune

If you go back in time in the forums, you'll find a lot of interesting stuff. Clever combining of little crumbs of information can get you anywhere (he said, wisely  :P.)

cyphyr

Quote from: TheBadger
Richard
The flames you did look good. But by the end of the thread you dropped the fire. Did you make anymore images with flames?

No, I don't think so. Using an image map was appropriate at the time but as you see I dropped the idea eventually and made the scene without fire. I think (as usual) it will be scene dependant. For the small camp fire it was appropriate but for a larger fire, like a forest fire for example, it would be a much harder challenge to use image maps and possible easier to do it procedurally. I remember a very effective scene of a forest fire but looking down . I think the camera was at about treetop height. The flames and smoke were quite blured but it really evoked looking into the heart of a raging forest fire. Don't remember who did it though.

Of course another issue will be weather your going to animate the scene. If so you would need a sequence of images (or a single image with a PF mask moving over it).

Lots of fire images here (register for a free account, massive load of free textures)

Good luck

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

Quote from: cyphyr on September 24, 2012, 04:26:03 AM
... scene of a forest fire but looking down . I think the camera was at about treetop height. The flames and smoke were quite blured but it really evoked looking into the heart of a raging forest fire. Don't remember who did it though.

That'd be the one I posted just above, I think, Richard. ;)