Polar Ice Cap Issue

Started by AP, July 25, 2011, 08:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

OK, i have a polar region made but how exactly do i move it so that it is where i want in the image mark i posted?

Dune

Why didn't you make it there in the first place? You can rotate the entire planet, but I guess the other features will rotate with it. You could use two planets.... just some wild guessing.

AP

I don't care if i have to rotate the entire planet as long as i know i can.  ;D

Dune

Well, you can...

Henry Blewer

You could probably use the translate shader. You'd would need to know the location where you want the polar cap and the current location. Get the difference between the two and use that to move the polar cap.
It may also be as simple as rotating 90 degrees.
We had to do this often in math class. That was 30 years ago; I've have forgotten quite a lot of math since.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

AP

Well i tried the translate shader checking the world space box but no matter what i type in relations to xyz nothing changes. I have the shader attached to the planet just after all of the other shaders.

dandelO

To move only the shaders you'll want to un-check 'use world-space'. Doing this makes the key 'position in texture'.

The other method of rotating the planet will also work but in the current public release version of TG you'll need to open the .tgd in a text editor and edit the planet node settings text manually. Look for the following two lines and replace the default "0" with "1"

translate_textures_with_planet = "1"
rotate_textures_with_planet = "1"

AP

What am i doing wrong here? I did not only try the transform shader but altered the text file as well. This planet just will not rotate.

Dune

I got the same some time ago, but didn't really pay attention to what happened. I had a SSS at 0/0/0, tried to rotate it by rotating the entire planet, but it didn't happen. Perhaps this feature hasn't been implemented thoroughly enough?

AP

OK, well i just orbited the camera around the planet object and repositioned the sun. It will have to for now until an easy solution is found. Thank you anyways.