Still trying Stratas

Started by FrankThomas, December 23, 2006, 05:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

Thanks 3Dguy you answered a ton of questions in one .tgd file. I now have direction to go with for future strata work. :)

rcallicotte

Yep. Thanks, 3DGuy.  I love the willingness to share and teach.  This enhances the atmosphere here by scads.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

3DGuy

The thing is, I know alot of things, how they work. But combining it all into a cool scene is another thing :)
So I share what I know and hope someone uses that to create a cool scene.

oggyb

Looks a lot more than reasonable, well done.

However, 1 stratum, 2 strata.  There is no such word as stratas!

old_blaggard

*Puts on language geek hat* Heheh... I didn't know the singular for it... nifty ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

oggyb

folder

3d guy and all.

I'm  still a  big of an idiot, what part of your tgd file acutally controls the strata lines. I tried turning items on and off, but failed to understand.

thank for any help

btw and off topic, I called folder because I fold models like those on this page

www.langorigami.com

david

3DGuy

Well in my example, look in the shaders part (use the node view). There's a 'strata and outcrops' shader there. That controls the look of the strata. That is linked to the distribution shader (Distribution shader v4 02). That one controls where to apply that strata shader. In this case it's limited to slopes of at least 30 degrees.

king_tiger_666

the strata outcrop shader?

edit..you beat me to it!!! posting at the same time 3dguy:P

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

folder

Thanks

Now it does make sense - I really appreciate the help and information

david

Cyber-Angel

What the Outcrops and Strata Shader really needs is the functionality to colour strata like you could with the old So-Strata plug-in, maybe this is coming for the final release I don't know. When I herd that there was going to be strata built in to TG2 I throat great you'll be able to colour these strata without needing to use a plug-in and all the headaches that involves. Using So-Strata I could never get it to work properly with Terragen 0.9.43 I always got an error message.

Any way the Outcrops and Strata Shader is a great tool that will be even grater once the ability to colour strata is included.

For the future I would like to see the capabilities of this shader extended to include folded strata and been able to randomize the thickness and height of individual strata along their length as in nature not all strata are uniform in there thickness and height, it would also be nice if you could use a gradient to vary the darkness/ lightness of a strata to make them more realistic, all this how ever is for the future, no rush.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

old_blaggard

Oshyan has confirmed that you will be able to color strata sometime in the future... hopefully the *near* future ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

BPauba

3dGuy:

A question popped into my mind, and I cannot answer it myself because I am rendering. I have been looking at this tgd and I was wondering if there was any use for the [distribution shader] node in the terrain network? I am just trying to gauge what is going on in your technique so I can try to understand a node architecture that would allow the [strata and outcrops] node to be above the [compute terrain] AND also be able to be restricted through the [distribution shader] node. I am working on a technique that really relies on being able to restrict numerous nodes by using the [distribution shader], and I am having trouble getting it to work! So hopefully I will figure this little speedbump out and be able to post my findings in the near future. Thanks for the help 3DGuy, I really appreciate it.

3DGuy

I used the distribution node in the terrain network for the mushrooms you can find in the fun with the crater shader thread.  So there is some use for it :) Creating overhangs for instance. I tried using that technique with the strata but somehow it failed (or I wasn't doing it right) so I tried in the shader network and that worked.