Timelapse

Started by Seth, October 06, 2011, 10:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

I think this one is already limked somewhere in the forum but... well...
it is so good lookin'

http://www.vimeo.com/29950141

swissAdA

WOW!!! Great Images.  :o
P.S. My text is always translated with Google  http://swissada.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Absolutely amazing work! Among the very best timelapse I've seen. What sets it apart is not only the variety of scenes, but the incredibly well balanced exposure in each shot, even through a variety of lighting conditions. Yet it doesn't look like blatant HDR. This is masterfully subtle and well balanced. Genius work.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

But, how did he get HDR in film?  Two cameras?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

I guess he just take his picture in RAW and play with exposure...

edit : yes, RAW processed pictured for the daylight shots. no HDR on the night time ones

Seth

his settings for the "stars" shooting :

14mm 2.8 and the 24mm 1.4
Nearly wide open
Around 25-30 seconds
ISO around 2500

rcallicotte

I didn't know you could do RAW with film.  How is this possible?  I really thought I understood this better.  LOL

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on October 13, 2011, 11:32:22 PM
I didn't know you could do RAW with film.  How is this possible?  I really thought I understood this better.  LOL
`

It's not really film, it's just a shitload of photographs shot in RAW which you convert to a film.
I'm not completely familiar with the standard options of his camera, but for many cameras there's customized firmware available.
Likely you'll need such firmware anyway to do timelapse, to set it to take an image every X sec.

Oshyan

There aren't many custom firmwares available. Generally people use an external "intervalometer" or "shot timer". Most SLRs have external control ports to allow for remote triggering. Newer cameras are starting to include basic intervalometers, which is nice.

As for RAW, like Martin said, the original source of the "film" is a bunch of individual still shots shot in the camera's RAW format. When you edit it together you can do so in a 16bit color space (or higher) video editor like Adobe After Effects and then adjust color more capably, apply HDR effects, etc. to the video, or even apply HDR processing a batch process to the original RAW files before assembling into a video.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Gosh!  I wish I had more time.  LOL

Thanks for explaining.