Reset to render camera not reliable

Started by Jonathan, October 03, 2011, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Hi guys,

Having run many TG projects, I occasionally get a bug. When I click on "reset to current render camera" the camera does not return to the exact position it was in. Somtimes The camera is looking down at the scene rather than across it, an other times it is in the right position but pointing in the wrong direction. I am always very careful to click on "copy this view to the render camera" but often disaapointed when my carefully framed view is not what it was. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Jonathan.
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Tangled-Universe

Hmmm...I think you're the first who reports this...reading from it the differences are pretty obvious and I've never seen something like that before.
As you have explained yourself it is often due to lack of using the "copy view to render camera", but that doesn't seem to be the case. Interesting.
Do you know of a way to reproduce it?

Cheers,
Martin

Jonathan

Hi Martin,

It tends to be random - it has happened two or three times - on the occasion where I manually change the view back to approximately what it was and click on "copy this view..." it then works...the projects are all different, so no similarities - strangely I also noticed this on the eval version before I bought TG2....

Jonathan
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

jo

Hi Jonathan,

The "Reset to current render camera" command only sets the position of the camera, not the orientation or anything else. Generally speaking the button that the "Reset to current render camera" command is available from is all about setting the camera position. There is one exception, which is the "Reset preset orientation" command. That resets the orientation of a preset orthographic camera ( Top view, Bottom view etc.) and it just seemed like the best place to put it.

If you want to get back to the render camera view go to the "Select different cameras or viewpoints" button (second from the left) and choose the "Current render camera" command.

Regards,

Jo

Jonathan

Thanks Jo - I guess I can put it down to lack of training! By the way, as someone who enjoys playing with Terragen, but doesn't know enough about how to really use it effectively, have you considered putting together any courses? I am sure there would be a demand for some regional based sessions that could take a beginner through not just the "how to do this" but the theory of why using masks in a certain way can affect what you create? Just a thought :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jj100all4u on October 05, 2011, 08:24:09 AM
Thanks Jo - I guess I can put it down to lack of training! By the way, as someone who enjoys playing with Terragen, but doesn't know enough about how to really use it effectively, have you considered putting together any courses? I am sure there would be a demand for some regional based sessions that could take a beginner through not just the "how to do this" but the theory of why using masks in a certain way can affect what you create? Just a thought :)

I made a start with a FAQ which should be available relatively soon. I guess it's >90% finished and Oshyan and I just need to go through it once to check for errors.
As the abbreviation suggests this FAQ covers the most asked questions on these forums and in the near future I will extend it a little bit with less frequently asked questions, but still key things where people often run into. Could also be basic concepts like blending or using the node-network.
Oshyan and I will have to see what's most useful and suitable for such a FAQ.

In the meantime I'm also trying to lay out a personal website with a blog-part. This blog will contain tutorials, being videos, written or a combination of both, and will cover things like navigation in TG2 and of course lots and lots of aspects in scene design. A lot of stuff I've learned the past 5 years.
At the moment I've thought of roughly 20 topics without much effort.

I only need somebody to help me with the site design and functionality as I've discovered I'm an absolute noob with this. So if anyone has suggestions/time? ;) Definitely need to ask this in a separate topic anyway.

Cheers,
Martin

Jonathan

Hi Martin,

That sounds fantastic, and is very much appreciated. I am not much cop at site design, but there must be lots of guys here who are....probably worth putting this email as a new official topic to ensure everyone reads it! Look forward to seeing the site when it is up and running.....unless of course it could be put on here?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jj100all4u on October 05, 2011, 03:37:03 PM
Hi Martin,

That sounds fantastic, and is very much appreciated. I am not much cop at site design, but there must be lots of guys here who are....probably worth putting this email as a new official topic to ensure everyone reads it! Look forward to seeing the site when it is up and running.....unless of course it could be put on here?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

The FAQ I mentioned will be made available by PS either on these forums, PS website or both. I think the first.

In regard to my website. As soon as I have my graphic layout finished and thought about the functionality and such then I will post to ask for help.

Kadri

This would be very good Martin. So many things are asked all the time here. It would be very good for all of us really .