IT Happens

Started by folder, September 30, 2011, 01:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

folder

iinto e very life some rain must pour  - here is my rail storm/ story   a few days agi i transferred all my TG2 files, tgd's, NWDA ipresets, plant files etc unto my new 1 tb western digital hard drive. from the older machine it was on.  when i checked the drive, i discovered to my dismay it was corrupted and none of my file recovered programs were of any help.  i taking this incident with a big grain of salt. of course WD is sorry and is sending another drive.  i used diskdigger and diskgenuis. anyone else hae any other suggestions. while i can salage the forum. it will unforunately be quite a while before i visit NDWA.  the moral is quess is tripple back up and back up again

folder

rcallicotte

Sorry to hear about your loss.

If the entire drive is corrupted because of the MBR, then that's harder.  But, otherwise, you might be able to find software to salvage some of your files...maybe not all.  I'm not sure.

As for backups, more than one is better.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jaf

You might try the free Recuva program. http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features

It states in the features "Recovery from damaged or formatted disks
Even if you've formatted a drive so that it looks blank, Recuva can still find your files on it."

The Piriform programs all seem pretty stable -- I've had few problems with them.  And it doesn't look like you would be out anything except your time (I bet a full scan will take a while!)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

That's too bad, but words are not enough to describe the dismay things like this cause. I have 2 pc's and an external drive, which I use to backup from my working machine. So I always have 3 copies of everything. So I double Calico.

Regarding recovery; I once had a ticking (dying) drive and purchased Active File Recovery, which worked very well, and wasn't very expensive. Managed to pull out most stuff before it totally crashed.

I now have messed up the partitions on my external drive in an attempt to change their sizes, so it's now totally unreadable, even from the BIOS or XP setup cd. Any advise on getting it reformatted is welcome, by the way, but I already ordered another external drive.

Good luck, folder!

microwar

GetDataBack helped me ones to recover almost all files from a drive.
Why almost? Did not have enough free space on other drives to save it to.

This program will not write to the damage disk, only copy out what it can save.

folder

thanks for the care and concern all
microwar, i actually purchased getdata back about a week ago and it recover a great deal of my data. i found out about it after a google query asking what software recovery experts use

dune this software may help with yoor issues as long as your hdd is not damaged

folder