Procedural Erosion

Started by AP, October 18, 2011, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I thought i would post this here as i found it interesting. It was a conversation at the Renderosity Forums under Mojoworld and the subject was brought in.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2833548&page=1#message_3851720

AP

Terminius

Online Now!

Last Post: 18 Oct 11

[homepage]

Posted Fri, Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

What about your procedural erosion? Will it ever see the light of day? Vue and perhaps Terragen 2 might beat everyone to it.
Quote[print] [save]
Dmytry

Last Post: 14 Oct 11

[homepage]

Posted Fri, Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm, Edited Fri, Oct 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I don't think they would make that kind of indefinitely zoomable erosion... not just because of my arrogance ;). The closest anyone else got to it was Jim Bardeen's river fractal, and even that is not indefinitely zoomable (and you can read on Jim Bardeen to know who he is). It's just not easy to come up with that method, many people tried before, and even if you come up with the idea it is very difficult to implement. It also has rather user unfriendly behaviour to top it off (easy to make it very slow or break it, and mojoworld would not provide me with a way to restrict the input functions to erosion), especially within MojoWorld's terrain renderer - effectively it only worked with Volumetrics. But yes the new volumetrics will most definitely include erosion fractal.
Quote[print] [save]
Terminius

Online Now!

Last Post: 18 Oct 11

[homepage]

Posted Tue, Oct 18, 2011 12:31 am

Sounds good man. Thank you for the reply and the explanation.