super newbie - super tiny planet

Started by dalewb, January 27, 2012, 05:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalewb

Okay I am confused here (a common problem when learning a new program).  I've been running through the "first scene" tutorial and I've spent most of it in outer space looking down on my planet.  Now, when adding water it tells me to zoom into the planet to find a spot for the lake, which I do.  But I notice that there's isn't a spot for the lake because everywhere I go it's sloped as if I'm on a large hill.  In short, it seems like the planet shrank, or I just can't get close enough to the surface.  I must have done something in the beginning of the tutorial to the terrain to cause this, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.  It's not a huge deal, I just want to learn what I did wrong.  I was playing with the zoom feature of the 3D camera, so I was thinking it might have been that...

Here's what it looks like everywhere:

Dune

Best to give us your tgd, so we can see what went wrong.

Axe

I wonder if your camera perspective is at an extreme value.  If you reset your camera to a focal length in the 30-40 mm range or your horizontal FOV to 50-60 does that bring everything back into a normal amount of distortion?

Axe

dalewb

Thanks for the replies!  I had somehow reverted back to the perspective camera instead of the camera I created, whose horizontal FOV was set to 60 and focal length set to 31.18.  I switched back to the perspective, clicked the copy to render camera button and viewed its settings in the left panel - the horizontal FOV was 105 and the focal length 13.79.  I guess that would make for some serious distortions ;-).

Thanks for the help - what a weird situation!

dalewb

the edit post feature doesn't seem to work.  Anyways, is there a way to directly adjust the settings of the perspective camera?