Flash Flood

Started by choronr, November 04, 2011, 10:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

A side canyon (of which there are many) of the Grand Canyon depicting a flash flood brought on by several consecutive days of rain. Many of these side canyons are dry.  See some side canyons here: http://www.gcex.com/side_canyon_gallery.html  .

The image consists of the following elements:

•   Terrain - A DEM heightfield of 'Havasupai Point'. ( 512 kb file: havasupai_point_AZ.ter imported into Terragen 2).
•   Terrain - Strata and outcrops shader.
•   10m Cracks by dandelO available at the Planetside Forum.
•   Stone Bed by FrankB available at NWDA.
•   Wavy Terraces or Strata file by FrankB  available at the Planetside Forum. 
•   Vegetation includes two populations of Dry Shrubs by Walli (#8; colored and textured with different image maps) available at NWDA.

A lot of fooling around with this one especially trying to get the stones/rocks to show up properly.

Enjoy,

Bob 

Henry Blewer

I like the terrain. The clouds seem a bit harsh. Everything else is right on.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Jonathan

Nice render Bob - it looks very natural. My only suggestion would be some sort of surface layer shader to match the position of the shrubs to indicate soil? The nearest shrub looks like it is growing from teh rock....just a thought! Jonathan
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Walli

that looks very nice!
I just have a small problem with distribution of the vegetation. I thiink on some of the steep areas it looks strange. I know that you can find that sometimes, but it still looks a bit strange to me. Probably it´s because shrubs at such places would have a different shape? Not sure...

TheBadger

Quote from: Walli on November 05, 2011, 12:05:24 PM
that looks very nice!
I just have a small problem with distribution of the vegetation. I thiink on some of the steep areas it looks strange. I know that you can find that sometimes, but it still looks a bit strange to me. Probably it´s because shrubs at such places would have a different shape? Not sure...

I have to agree with walli about the plants on the cliffs. Most everything is working in this image except that and maybe the clouds. Keep it up!
It has been eaten.

choronr

Thank you all. If sun light were to light up that vertical rock face, you would note that the vegetation is setting on terraces of the strata. Also, I had set the altitude/slope for the vegetation so that it would appear properly as you see it on the left and got this results. I'm working on another version wherein the results should be better.

Bob