The Red Room...

Started by dandelO, November 20, 2011, 02:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Brilliant; a taste of hell ...such talent here!

TheBadger

Thank you very much Martin. You always go out of your way for people, I hope we can do the same for you when you need it. But frankly I doubt that you will ;)
It has been eaten.

Dune

QuoteLaying the sand layer over a flat surface that you want to keep intact can prove quite tricky
You could put the sand layer on another (similar) planet, or a sphere, or even a plane, carefully matching both surfaces...

j meyer

Quote..........
Any better ideas on how to do that? It was late when.......
Unfortunately not,actually I was hoping you had figured it out. ;)

TheBadger

Quote from: Dune on November 22, 2011, 04:14:38 AM
QuoteLaying the sand layer over a flat surface that you want to keep intact can prove quite tricky
You could put the sand layer on another (similar) planet, or a sphere, or even a plane, carefully matching both surfaces...

@Dune: Thank you for bringing this up Dune. I have read a lot of threads of people talking about using a sphere or planet for interesting things like you describe but have yet to learn how to do it my self. I think I should not put it off anymore. Can you point me to a good educational discussion thread of the technique (in general), I have only read it referenced by people who already seem to understand it fully.

@DandelO: Thank you for that information and the .tgd! The sandelO nodes and how you worked out the image map coverage problem is soooo versatile! I'm actually using your method to 'paint dirt on to a wall(s) Thanks much Martin.
Also I am really sorry to hijack your threads. Its just that I have learned to not risk missing an opportunity to pick your brain. Hope it is not to difficult to tolerate me.
It has been eaten.

Dune

@TheBadger: it's not hard at all. Just copy (ctrl+D) the planet, disable the rendering of atmosphere (you only need one), and hook a new line of nodes into it's input. If you use the same main terrain, but change one of the lines (add some major displacement), and have some different colors in surface layers, you'll see the difference right away. Just two terrains 'alternating in appearance'.
If you use exactly the same terrain but add some minor displacement (and different colors) at the end of the line of nodes (surface shaders), and blend these by a distance shader, you'll have some subtle difference right in front of you, but not in the distance. Something like that.

Jonathan

Nice composition - and unusual....more interesting is using TG for the model (as opposed to other 3D modelling tools) - shows how flexible TG really is. Nice one!
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

j meyer

Meanwhile i've found a solution.I should have seen that before,but was too focused on
the sine-way.
Since it is a repetitive pattern just look for the smallest possible unit,make that unit -either
from blue nodes or simple shape shaders- then tile the result as often as desired and done.
It's a bit too much effort though,nodewise,so you are probably better off using an image map
like you did.

Gkos

You always have brilliant ideas.

dandelO