Canyon

Started by 3DGuy, April 16, 2007, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

After seeing the topic on procedural canyons, I decided to try it my own way (not using functions) to see what I could come up with. Everything you see here is just powerfractals, a distribution shader and fake stones. Oh, and some slight colour adjustments in photoshop ;)

1hr46m @ 0.7 detail.

I would like to add some decent texture to the wall though, but so far I just haven't found one yet.

rcallicotte

This looks very good.  Some more ground roughing up would look super sweet.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Quote from: 3DGuy on April 16, 2007, 03:51:26 PM

I would like to add some decent texture to the wall though, but so far I just haven't found one yet.

You could always try creating your own textures with fractals. It's possible to create some reasonably realistic textures using fractals for both displacement and breakup shaders.  The rocks in this post have been reshaped and textured with fractals... my attempt at a granite'ish rock.

A layer of *very* small fake stones also makes for a good coarse sandstone surface.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

3DGuy

Quote from: bigben on April 16, 2007, 09:05:13 PM
You could always try creating your own textures with fractals. It's possible to create some reasonably realistic textures using fractals for both displacement and breakup shaders.  The rocks in this post have been reshaped and textured with fractals... my attempt at a granite'ish rock.

A layer of *very* small fake stones also makes for a good coarse sandstone surface.

Well there are already a few fractals in place to displace the canyon walls, there's where the shapes come from and there's fractals for the texture. I will try the fake stones on there and see what it'll yield.  Allready did use one on the ground to get some bumps there.

rcallicotte

3DGuy, this is really nice.  Did you use GI and, if so, what were the GI settings?

3DGuy

GI was set at 1, both settings. The rest is just sunlight  :)

nvseal

Any chance of a tgd 3DGuy?

3DGuy

I'll post one in the filesharing section once I'm a bit more satisfied with the result ;)

3DGuy

Ok, been fiddling with it after a vacation...

[attachimg=#]

Had to render the center bit (with the potrusions in the sky) seperately because that bug still seems to exist. Did some colour corrections and sharpening in PS. I also turned off the GI and added 2 suns without schadowcasting with a strength of just 0.2 as an experiment. Seems to work :)

I'm pretty much done with this scene, time to move on :P

rcallicotte

Very nice.  I like how you've experimented.  Thanks for letting us know what you did.

old_blaggard

Great image!  I don't know how I missed this one ;).  I've been trying to find the time to work on canyons myself - I especially want to try to emulate some of the stuff Luc has achieved.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

Very (!) good canyon - I like it!