Beautiful new moon height data

Started by Oshyan, November 22, 2011, 10:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

I figured out how to convert to png..Ofcourse you still need to compile the blocks but img2png (here: http://www.mmedia.is/bjj/utils/img2png/#download ) and remember to download the index file like it says in the instruction or your conversion wont work... I could compile and host the file if someone wants it but I cant keep such big files on my FTP for long..so anyone willing to host it permanently?

Oshyan

That sounds promising, the only problem is I think PNG is 8bit/channel only, so you'll likely be losing accuracy. 16 bit TIFF or EXR would be better, if possible. I'm not sure a general purpose image editor/converter will be able to do that. I'm guessing Global Mapper or a similar GIS format app would be able to handle it though.

- Oshyan

JimB

Very nice dataset. Here it is plus an albedo map and a touch of power fractal detail displacement (mostly for the completely smooth areas).
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

JimB

Quote from: Oshyan on November 27, 2011, 08:51:23 PM
That sounds promising, the only problem is I think PNG is 8bit/channel only, so you'll likely be losing accuracy. 16 bit TIFF or EXR would be better, if possible. I'm not sure a general purpose image editor/converter will be able to do that. I'm guessing Global Mapper or a similar GIS format app would be able to handle it though.

- Oshyan

The 64 px/deg Global DEM tiff I downloaded turned out to be a regular 8-bit rgb tiff (loads straight into Photoshop with full range, and you can see the expected 8-bit quantising/stepping when zoomed in in TG2). Am I missing something?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Matt

Oshyan, the IMG2PNG page says that it can output 16 bit PNGs when applicable.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

I didn't even know PNG supported 16bit/channel! Does TG2? ;) I'll check it out. Jim, I believe the IMG/PDS files would be 16bit/channel.

Great results guys, improving on mine in every way. :)

- Oshyan