Ivy Generator + Terragen2 information dump

Started by TheBadger, November 23, 2011, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Don't bother about me saying .tiff....I just do these things from heart, so I was just incorrect there.
So like I said you only need to separately save the diffuse (colour) and alpha images for every texture.
If the textures are .jpg .png or .tiff doesn't matter then ;)

I'll have a look at them...

Tangled-Universe

I just made this very quickly so please don't look at the weird shades in the render.

What I did was inserting a fake stone clipfile I had somewhere and positioned the camera @ 0,5,0 metres and -90 degrees tilt to have it face down.
Rendered a 320x240 @ detail 0.25 with the micro exporter enabled and imported the TG2 generated obj file into Ivy Gen.
I used the settings in the image below for growing the ivy. I mostly use these range of settings for growing Ivy's.
I didn't had to flip the obj eventually, so I don't know why I didn't have to now and why you and I should in the past. Weird.

Anyway, here's also a download link to the converted textures:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KVRZ7MK
Once you imported your Ivy you need to go to the parts shaders and replace the efeu0.png for efeu0.bmp and in the opacity tab load the efeu0_alpha.bmp as opacity image.
That should be it!

Cheers,
Martin

Tangled-Universe

Oh here's the render...

I accidentially kept the exporter enabled and I rendered this at 960x720 and detail 0.7.
The exported obj was 2.4GB!  :P

TheBadger

HI T-U

Sweet! Thanks so much. I just downloaded your file and will start in on it in a few seconds. Will let you know how it goes.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 04, 2011, 07:37:35 AM
I just made this very quickly so please don't look at the weird shades in the render.

What I did was inserting a fake stone clipfile I had somewhere and positioned the camera @ 0,5,0 metres and -90 degrees tilt to have it face down.
Rendered a 320x240 @ detail 0.25 with the micro exporter enabled and imported the TG2 generated obj file into Ivy Gen.
I used the settings in the image below for growing the ivy. I mostly use these range of settings for growing Ivy's.
I didn't had to flip the obj eventually, so I don't know why I didn't have to now and why you and I should in the past. Weird.
Anyway, here's also a download link to the converted textures:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KVRZ7MK
Once you imported your Ivy you need to go to the parts shaders and replace the efeu0.png for efeu0.bmp and in the opacity tab load the efeu0_alpha.bmp as opacity image.
That should be it!
Cheers,
Martin

As to the not having to flip it, I think he (the IvyGen developer) has done some work on the program since your last posts on the subject (before this thread) But if you look at the website, he says that the next version of IvyGen is delayed and has been for well over a year. Its too bad, Its a great free program. If I had tons of money I would donate and ask him to build a plug-in for terragen.... Also, I will use the settings you mention above.
Thanks again Martin, its really good of you.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

T-U

It works perfectly!!!! Thank you so much. I'm sure it was simple for you, but I was really stuck. Upon learning of IvyGen I started to base everything I was doing (plant wise) in this project I'm working on, on getting ivy. So as far as this thread goes back in time, thats how long I have been stuck. Now I can move forward!
Oh yeah, did I mention I was thankful!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

One question though. Did you find that there was nothing wrong with the dead leaf? I haven't even tried to use it yet but intend to at some point.
It has been eaten.

AndyWelder

Did anyone know you can change the parameters while the ivy is growing?  Say, you have an ivy that's climbed high enough in a tree and you want it to climb no more but dangle down instead: Push the "Grow" button, the process will halt, change the parameter for "Gravity weight" to something  like 1.9, "Max float length" to something like 0.6 and then push the "Grow" button again. The ivy will now continue to grow in downward direction with lots of long, dangling shoots.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Dune

TheBadger

Hey Andy,

I found that out recently too! Its a great little program.

Once I finish the project I'm working on I'll do a nice little tut so people don't have to spend so much time on the basics like we have. Or rather, I'll write down everything T-U shared and put some photos with it ;) :P
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

~160 branches on a single tree...
Looks quite nice here with so many direct light, but is virtually impossible to light indirectly in TG2. I used GI 4/8/6 and couldn't get any detail in it.
Nonetheless it's a nice combination of software :)

Oshyan

Maybe a situation where GI Surface Details is actually useful? ;D Or try upping translucency?

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on December 11, 2011, 03:51:40 PM
Maybe a situation where GI Surface Details is actually useful? ;D Or try upping translucency?

- Oshyan

Absolutely worth trying :) Thought about it yesterday-night, but didn't think about doing it...sounds stupid I know :) I was merely thinking "which GI relative detail would equal GI SD?" something along that line :)

TheBadger

Hello,

Sorry for the delay on this (if anyone is still interested) 

Im still planing on compiling  two tutorials on this subject, a quick start and an in-depth pdf. But I want to finish the project Im working on first its  rather large, and uses hundreds of ivy (s). So the information in the tutorials should be rather detailed.

A quick question now. After I use a terrain as an .obj in IvyGen, and import it back as a terrain with ivy 'object'  .obj. I was expecting that the object would be a massive file size. But happily, I found that even a massive terrain .obj, 'once ivy-ed', makes only a 2-4 mb file. No complaints! Just want to understand whats happening. Can any one explain why it works this way? Again not a problem, just want to know more than I do. :)

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

The terrain obj size remains the same after you grew an ivy on it.
The software grows the ivy on the terrain and once you save it only the ivy itself will be exported as obj.

A 2-4MB size for the terrain obj is small, but possible.
It depends on how large the chunk is in metres and at which detail you rendered the export.
As I explained before the lower the detail the less triangles and thus the smaller the filesize.
I'm pretty sure it's a combination of both in your case.

TheBadger

Thanks T-U,

The reason I was wondering is because the tutorial for using the IvyGen UI, from the IG website, says that a new object is created with ivy on it. So I thought that must mean that my terrain was copied with ivy, adding to the size of the terrain. But clearly this is not, and may never have been the case. Although, I may have miss understood in my agitation of the narrators constant burping, if anyone downloaded that tut with IvyGen than you'll know what I mean. An argument for PDF(s) if you ask me.
It has been eaten.