Ivy Generator + Terragen2 information dump

Started by TheBadger, November 23, 2011, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Best Practices

When exporting for .obj (a terrain) disable all light and atmosphere. This will allow you to export a massive terrain area at low cost. Im seeing about 200-350 mb .obj (s) covering very large areas of my TG2 landscapes. Do this in addition to above ^^ mentioned methods.
For me this is very beneficial as it allows me to grow ivy without continually having to re-export for different potions on the terrain. I expect knowing this should make things easy for others as well.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hi,

I thought it would be good to update this thread with some current information.

A full and better working version is now included in Blender. IF you have the latest version of blender than you have a better working version of IvyGen.

I would use that from now on. I don't think they are ever going to update the stand alone.

Some of you may have already known this but I just found out And I wanted this thread to have the info, sorry for bringing up old posts. Also I feel better about not getting to write that tut on this, since the info is out dated.
It has been eaten.

bigben

Handy to know. I was going to be looking for that in a few weeks for a project, replacing the leaves with some textures for Ficus pumila

TheBadger

Hi BigBen,

I just found this tut for it. http://www.blendernerd.com/ivy-generator/
The tut covers some rudimentary stuff in the beginning so if your already handy with blender just skip to 4m12s in and it will give you the run down. As for me It was best I viewed the entire thing. 

here is the wiki for the plug-in, just to save you a min or two. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Curve/Ivy_Gen
IvyGen is a lot easier to use now. For one, everything is no longer reversed! And the ivy is somewhat easier to control. And bringing in massive objects like a terrain, no longer slows growing ivy to a crawl! So thats nice.

It has been eaten.

bigben

Thanks, that was helpful.  Never really used Blender much

masonspappy

Quote from: bigben on September 10, 2012, 09:20:12 PM
  Never really used Blender much

I've used Blender since V2.4x.    I use to liken it to a an empty room where the walls, floor and ceiling were covered by switches, bells, illustrations, circuits and lights.   All you had to do was figure out how all that stuff worked together and it would make fantastic things. But the documentation was archaic, incomplete, non-existant or just plain wrong.