Power fractal issue

Started by firesuite, January 10, 2007, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firesuite

Ive yet to find anyone else experiencing this problem, If i add a power fractal to a child layer of a surface shader and use that fractal for adding bump to the terrain if i go any lower than .01 in the scale the whole terrain starts to go darker the lower i go from there, this happens both in the preview window and when i render, any thoughts on this ? im trying to get some really nice fine/very small bumps on my surfaces to accentuate that the terrain is large and the details very tiny.

Oshyan

As I mentioned in the other thread if you could post a .tgd where this is reproducible that would be helpful. It's definitely a problem I've seen before but I'm unable to reproduce it at the moment.

- Oshyan

firesuite

Quote from: JavaJones on January 10, 2007, 09:32:27 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread if you could post a .tgd where this is reproducible that would be helpful. It's definitely a problem I've seen before but I'm unable to reproduce it at the moment.

- Oshyan

My apologies, i didn't have that thread on notify so i thought that one was long gone, anyway ive attached a basic file which i can seem to recreate at any time. If i set the Feature scale and Smallest scale to anything under .01 the terrain starts to go dark, bring them back above .01 and it lightens up again to how it should be. I'm basically just after really tiny bumps/detail for far away surfaces. As its all still new im probably doing things wrong and maybe thats why this is happening..

Thanks for your time

Graham

Oshyan

I dug up an old topic notification from this thread that got lost in my email. Eek! ;D

The problem here is that your feature scale and smallest scale are 0.001, which is only a millimeter. A millimeter is supposed to be the limit of human vision from a reasonably close distance, in other words really small. You could probably do just fine with centimeter-scale features for most situations (0.01). I think the ability to render smaller-scale will also be improved in the future, but it probably won't be necessary that often. You're also using displacement at a scale of 1 meter with these small feature sizes, so that may be contributing to the problem as well.

- Oshyan