Here are the render times for the first test scene:

With shadows set on all lights the time was close enought to the GI only render

Lighting    GI off    GI on 
Sun only  19'29"  27'46"
All lights,shadows on  27'16"
All lights,shadows off  20'14"  30'11"

Lighting    shadows off    shadows on 
Sun + top light  19'38"  21'51"

Additional renders with shadows on below.

dhavalmistry

hey bigben....since you are a pro at lighting things up :D ....can you help me light up this terrain please??

I need to light up the terrain marked in yellow

please let me know....I will PM you with tgd attached

thanx

DL
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

Quote from: dhavalmistry on April 20, 2007, 11:25:04 PM
hey bigben....since you are a pro at lighting things up :D ....can you help me light up this terrain please??

I need to light up the terrain marked in yellow

please let me know....I will PM you with tgd attached

thanx

DL

Try a light
heading 0
elevation -90,
Hue,Sat,Lum: 150,100,120 (windows colour picker)
Strength will depend on your sunlight strength, but probably somewhere a bit less than 0.1
Do not cast shadows

It's simple, yet relatively effective

If you're using GI as well, then the strength could be dropped further as the GI will lighten the area further.  All you need is a little extra light in there to give GI something to work with...

You could also try a copy of that light, but with an elevation of +90 degrees and see what you think.  This is just a simplified version of the fill lights posted by Oshyan, and as has been pointed out... with shadows turned off it will also light surfaces deep down in gorges.  Whether this is a bad thing or not is up to you.  If you use both lights, the top light should be stronger than the bottom light... tweak to taste  ;)

I have many more tests lined up to look at different situations. The main reason I started this was because of the shadows around trees when using the three fill lights.  It also turns out that GI does not currently get applied to fake stones (but that will get fixed).  The biggest problem I'm having at the moment is that all of the different settings I have tried all act as point light sources. I tried adding a large light source, and a sun with a large disc, but the shadows on my tree still looked sharp, so it's a trade off between adding light under the tree and having strong shadows of the tree where they shouldn't really be.

I'm using the animated version to try out a number of different lighting settings/combinations and will post back later when I have something more concrete to show.