Another Non-TG Nature render thingy

Started by Walli, December 22, 2011, 04:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on January 28, 2012, 09:51:37 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on January 21, 2012, 04:44:33 PM
If it's one of the studios using TG, they'll likely mention it, as was the case with those two articles. I think the reality is there are so many studios working on each production and so many aspects to the visual effects in each film, that even an article "About visual effects in Sucker Punch" is unlikely to cover say TG, especially when they're only a few pages long. As far as I've seen Vue is not often mentioned either actually.

What tends to happen is that an article on a film will be about one VFX vendor at a time, e.g. Pixomondo, rather than every vendor that worked on a film. Terragen wasn't used on Sucker Punch by Pixomondo so of course Terragen won't be mentioned in that article. It was used by Prime Focus. On some films CG society will have a few different articles. Or Tron Legacy, where Terragen wasn't used at Digital Domain so of course it won't be mentioned in the Digital Domain article.

Matt

Thanks, that's clarifying.

I wonder Matt. When someone hires you, is there no possible option for you to have TG2 exposure in return instead of dollars only?
It may sound like a rude question, but I do not mean so.
As you may have read in my recent post the lack of growth in popularity during TG2's existence is a problem in my opinion and exposure of feature film usage is a powerful mechanism to make the people who matter aware of it.

Despite I'm no CG-industry guy this doesn't sound too stupid I'd guess?

Oshyan

It's interesting actually, TG2 has had quite a bit of professional level (film and TV VFX industry) use in the past 2-3 years. Less than Vue perhaps, but on some very high profile projects. Where it hasn't gained much visibility is in the middle ground, places like CGTalk that yes, do have pros, but mostly consist of people who want to get into the industry and who naturally grab onto the major industry apps and talk mostly about those (e.g. Maya, 3DS Max, etc.). Vue did manage to get some greater exposure on CGTalk and more acceptance, which is an important accomplishment to learn from, but at the same time look at the Vue forum on CGT, it's not very active either, so it's questionable whether this didn't just result from a lot more marketing dollars, and/or a lucky break with a CGT person who happened to like Vue or something. In any case we certainly do see these issues and work to address them, but there are usually no simple answers (sometimes "more money" is the answer, but that's a "big ask" most of the time, hehe).

As for asking for exposure from a VFX job, the problem is that the copyright is actually owned by the film studio who is contracting with them, so the VFX studio has to ask *their* employers for permission, and even if they are willing to ask, the answer is very often no. We've gone down that road, and we continue to try to get that kind of access and exposure, but it's tough to get past the initial barriers.

All that being said we of course have plans to improve our PR and general exposure of the great opportunities TG2 *has* gotten of late (Paramount anniversary logo, Terra Nova, Sucker Punch, to name a few).

- Oshyan

Walli

back to the non Tg thingy ;-)

after a longer pause I was able to work a bit. Still not finished, but a step closer.

TheBadger

Hi,

I am very curious about the story in your mind for these images. Are you just doing it for the technical challenge (a big endeavor in and of its self). Or do you have a story your working towards telling? Who is the man waiting at the door in image on the last page?
I would love to see a short by you Walli! That would be fun :D
It has been eaten.

Walli

a short by Walli, well, I guess that would probably be the shortest short ever ;-)
We will see where I go, but I plan (especially for night version) to "let something happen", so thats not "just" for technical reason or landscape only.

TheBadger

Here are some free cricket and mosquito sound effects for you, if you or anyone wants them. Can't have a night shot without bugs.

*oops, forgot the link http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Insects/Insects.htm
It has been eaten.

Walli

ha, interacitve picture with sound effects ;-)

mosquito sounds all over the place, the usually eat you at this time ;-)

rcallicotte

Pretty nice image, Walli.  I almost expect someone to walk out of the cabin for a before bed ponder.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

Quote from: calico on March 23, 2012, 08:12:49 AM
Pretty nice image, Walli.  I almost expect someone to walk out of the cabin for a before bed ponder.

HAHaHAHAHa  :D Now thats taking realism to the next level.
It has been eaten.

Walli

small update

now I have to think about and work on the last objects

Walli

Now some other NON TG renders:
This one I made for Laubwerk, during testing tools, pipeline and content:

And that one is a testrender of a new lilac I have built for my own shop

All renders with Vray for Cinema4D.

Seth

TheBadger

That last one is incredible! Will you please tell me what the size of the file is for that last flower object (.obj?). I would guess that its like 1 GB.
It has been eaten.

Walli

I will check, but as a zip with those four shrubs in variuos file formats plus textures plus 30 more shrubs only has 1.4gb together, it should be less.

Walli