Object surface displacement

Started by bigben, April 18, 2007, 08:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Another test, this time of the abbey ruins that's appeared in other posts, sun at 75° to check the lighting effects.   

I replaced the default shader for the bricks to a surface shader with a couple of image shaders.  Displacement is 0.1, masked by a  modified bump map supplied with the model, and the brick textures are scaled to 0.3 and tiled.

It's unfortunate that the add ons to the wall which help break up the shape so well use the same surface as the wall.  I'll check the groups in PoseRay to see if there's an easy workaround (otherwise it's beyond my skills/software).  The original bump map is a bit of a hack, being derived just from the texture image, but at a medium distance it looks reasonable effective.

fmtoffolo

looks really nice
not for a close up of course, but the bricks on the right look very very nice
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

rcallicotte

Try a displacement of .05 or .06 and a displacement offset of .0125.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

already looking real.....good work...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

Quote from: calico on April 18, 2007, 10:17:00 PM
Try a displacement of .05 or .06 and a displacement offset of .0125.

Thanks Calico... I'll give it a try tonight.

rcallicotte

Ben, I think it depends on the displacement map.  I use an Nvidia mapper that sets up a really nice displacement map and the settings I mentioned (.05 or .06 for the displacement and .0125 for the displacement offset) work pretty well.  Hopefully, you'll find the sweet spot you're looking for.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

The settings didn't do much for me... possibly because I had made some substantial adjustments to the bump map.  I think I'll find it easier tweaking the bump map at the moment  ;) ... but I'll keep this in mind