Ochre Rocks

Started by Seth, April 10, 2008, 11:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

hehehe thanks calico :D
and yes i put small stones on big ones... i didn't like the big stones alone... too clean to my eyes... but i must admit i tried with masking and not with merge... perhaps later ;)

zionner

:o

Nice Seth!

Great detail!

(this may seem like a stupid/obvious question) But For the Mud did you use small displacements or fake stones with very small scales?

Seth

very small scale displacement :)

jtmjtm2001

You nailed it dead on in realism!!

bobbystahr

Quote from: FrankB on May 09, 2008, 04:47:11 AM
It's nice, but what spoils it a little for me is the smaller stones growing on the big stones. Is that intentional?
If not, try this:

fake stone              fake stone
----|-----             -----|-----
    |                       |
    -----------|------------|
               |
           Merge Shader

And set the merge shader to "highest". Et voilá, the small stones don't sit on the big stones anymore.

Regards,
Frank
I realise this is an ancient post but I just ran into it and can't figure oit how to implement the diagram...big brain cramp....is there a clip file for this anywhere as it seems something I've been needing to know for some time now....thanks in advance .  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

It's really easy and straight forward. No clip file needed after reading the following steps ;)
Just create 2 fake stone layers and don't connect anything to them.
Create a merge shader and connect fake stone layer 1 to the left port of the merge shader and fake stone layer 2 to the middle port of the merge shader.
Then inside the merge shader set the merge mode to "highest". That's it.

Then connect the output of the merge shader into the child layer port of a surface layer. The surface layer doesn't have colour enabled.
With the surface layer acting as a base for the stones you can now control altitude/slope restrictions for the stones.

You can now use surface layers / PF's to seperately texture or displace (for that read below) your fake stone layers.

A bit more advanced:
Normally the stones will include all displacements made already before the surface layer.
If you enable smoothing in the surface layer the shader will use the last calculated computed terrain surface as a base for the fake stones, thus possibly smoothing out displacements after the compute terrain.
With this enabled you can separately displace your fake stones regardless of the terrains displacements.

Cheers,
Martin

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 30, 2011, 12:05:09 PM
It's really easy and straight forward. No clip file needed after reading the following steps ;)
Just create 2 fake stone layers and don't connect anything to them.
Create a merge shader and connect fake stone layer 1 to the left port of the merge shader and fake stone layer 2 to the middle port of the merge shader.
Then inside the merge shader set the merge mode to "highest". That's it.

Then connect the output of the merge shader into the child layer port of a surface layer. The surface layer doesn't have colour enabled.
With the surface layer acting as a base for the stones you can now control altitude/slope restrictions for the stones.

You can now use surface layers / PF's to seperately texture or displace (for that read below) your fake stone layers.

A bit more advanced:
Normally the stones will include all displacements made already before the surface layer.
If you enable smoothing in the surface layer the shader will use the last calculated computed terrain surface as a base for the fake stones, thus possibly smoothing out displacements after the compute terrain.
With this enabled you can separately displace your fake stones regardless of the terrains displacements.

Cheers,
Martin

You are blazingly fast Martin...thanks...somehow I didn't 'get' the Surface layer part...off to experiment now...thanks again man .  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Jonathan

Fantasmagorical! Love the conglomerate approach - I live near Wookey Hole Caves....home to dolomitic conglomerate I believe....would be lovely if you could create a cave using the same stone :) Lovely renders. J
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

dandelO

Jonathan, creating a cave out of fake stones is a bit easier than you might think. Give the stones a huge scale, say 100m/1000m or something, make the spacing between them(density) very close together and raise the 'pancake effect' in the shape tab so that the stones bulge outwards. Now, between each stone you should be left with 'caves' because the bottom of the stones don't meet but due to the closeness and the bulge they will meet together at some higher point. I'll make a simple .tgd to give you explaining it a bit better.

Sorry, Franck, but it seems your thread has been brought back to life for other purposes. :)

EDIT: Added a really basic file here for caves using the above method; http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=13431.0

Franco-Jo

Bumping this thread to ask about the 'small displacement' used to create the mud layer. I'm having trouble getting any detail in a mud layer in a project I'm working on and would love to know what is meant by this route as opposed to using very small rocks which I have tried but hasn't helped my scene.

Would it be the Displacement tab within the Surface Layer itself or within the Colour Function / Power Fractal? Displacement amplitude? Offset? Roughness? Spike Limit?

Any help much appreciated!

These rocks are absolutely amazing, by the way!

Dune

If you close in on the mud and try different settings, you'll best understand what happens. Experimentation is the basis of a good understanding. Lots of it!
You could either use the displacement tab of the surface layer (feeding some power fractal in it, of which it will use the color to displace the surface layer), or add a power fractal (PF) to the child input of the surface layer, which has its own displacement settings. You wouldn't need the color of the PF so, you could uncheck the white, and just play the displacement settings. If the smallest size of the fractal is 0.1 (=10cm) and the displacement 1 you'll get quite some spikes. Lower displacement, or lower spike limit will bring that down. Offset means the starting height of the displacement, sort of. Just check it out from a close up view is my best advice. Also try the different PF versions (ridges, perlin, billow, mix 1or mix 2). E.g. if you take a ridged perlin, and give it a negative displacement, you'll get a positively displaced billowy structure.
I hope this helps a bit. 

Franco-Jo

Much appreciated! That helps a lot, Dune - thank you!

Seth

don't forget to disable the fake stones to have a better view of the ground and render the tests faster ;)