Redwolf

aurora created using cirrus layer.

C/C welcome, some feedback on how to better it be appreciated

render time 16 minutes
AA6
GI 3
Quality 0.8

Derek Tokarzewski

One thing that i would either fix or get rid off is the thin cloud layer, looks like a mist mile above the ground.
Expand the lights into the distance and work out the composition.

tell us how u did this, please

Zairyn Arsyn

i'm guessing its PF shader stretching
Quote from: Derek Tokarzewski on January 13, 2012, 04:03:35 PM
tell us how u did this, please
does'nt look realistic enough to me, but still its a cool achievement.

make the sky lights smoother, they also looks a little too solid imo.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

I would leave out the stars, or decrease their number to a few with different sizes, and only higher up in the sky. They look like dust on my screen (I even tried to wipe them away). My problem with many stars I see in renders (also my own) is that they shine through clouds too much, like they are in front.

Redwolf

thanks for the tips....

back to the drawing board

Franco-Jo

Agreed about the stars. I think there is also too much light, I'd prefer it slightly darker with more contrast between the sky and the landscape which would mean losing detail in the landscape but it would be far more convincing.

The lights themselves also have a texture on them which northern lights don't. I don't know if it's possible but could you add a blur layer to stretch it even further? it would help it look more authentic.

TheBadger

Keep working on this. I think you are pretty close to getting it just right.
It has been eaten.