A typical Dutch landscape

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 18, 2012, 03:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

This is still a WIP.
Apparently this looks pretty dark on most screens, except for both mine at home and work where I can see every detail in the shadow.
I'm currently looking into monitor-calibration and/or a new monitor, since colours aren't really well represented too.

The terrain is created by 3 simple shape shaders.
The beveled edges allowed to create the irrigation channels, which we call "sloten" (plural).
Field rows were created by a sinus function.

I added some of Walli's fantastic reeds and also some grasses of NWDA.
Trees and other groundcover like nettles are from XFrog.

Cheers,
Martin

inkydigit

good to see this evolving, Martin!
Echt Nederlandse!
:)

masonspappy

I downloaded the image into PSP and upped the Gamma to get a better look - the realism is great!

Henry Blewer

I thought I was the only one having monitor calibration difficulty... ::)

Great looking image. The low sun angles are hard to use illuminating the scene is tricky without washing out the atmosphere/clouds.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Very nice, Martin! Typical Groningen, I'd say. These simple shapes do good jobs, don't they!

Antoine

Looks very nice !
I like the land shader especially.

FrankB

Martin, very nice.
i've downloaded the image and looked at its color histogram. Your image isn't using the full visible (jpg) spectrum. I've increased the exposure slightly and decreased the contrast just a tad, then recalibrated the white balance. As a result, many more details are visible, without loosing the overall atmosphere, or over exposing and loosing the bluesky for example.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Thank you all!

Quote from: FrankB on January 18, 2012, 12:33:30 PM
Martin, very nice.
i've downloaded the image and looked at its color histogram. Your image isn't using the full visible (jpg) spectrum. I've increased the exposure slightly and decreased the contrast just a tad, then recalibrated the white balance. As a result, many more details are visible, without loosing the overall atmosphere, or over exposing and loosing the bluesky for example.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, that looks nice :)
Hopefully soon I'll either get my monitor properly calibrated or a new one!

Quote from: Dune on January 18, 2012, 10:18:07 AM
Very nice, Martin! Typical Groningen, I'd say. These simple shapes do good jobs, don't they!

Thanks Ulco :) This also looks typically like Zeeland, where I grew up.
Soon I'll make some daylight iterations with some nice cloud setups.

I really can' think of a better/easier way to get these results without using simple shape shaders, they are indeed damn useful sometime!

Cheers,
Martin

AndyWelder

Verdulleme, waarom zie ik deze thread nu pas!

The original image was pretty dark so what FrankB did with it was very helpful. Looks indeed like it is somewhere in Zeeland or Groningen. The fieldrows  (voren) and ditches (sloten) do look very convincing. Interesting to read you did create them with simple shape shaders, that's a technique I'd love to learn. hint,hint ;)
The thing I don't like are those trees, they look weird, not at all like the abelen/poplars I know.
Looking forward to see this with a Dutch cloud sky above it!
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel