Creating Shelfs of rock on alpine mountains

Started by Themodman101, February 08, 2012, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themodman101

hey guys, I know this may seem a little bit of an odd question for those of you that have been working with T2 for long periods of time. but its something that i cant seem to get right.

I attached an image, of what i'm trying to achieve.

Im curious of how to do this, because I cant seem to get that type of Bulge to come out of the correct places, or for that matter. for them to bulge out any large enough amount to be noticable. :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS: Have any of you guys had problems with Blendshader not working on the Strata and Outcrops shader? and for that matter, can you get outcrops without the extreme hard edges of the Hard layers?

Dune

You could paint a soft spot with the paint shader (or use a soft simple shape circle) on that location and use that as a blender for a billowed fractal or a fake stone of large size. Build the outcrop further up on that basis.

Henry Blewer

I use a compute terrain (thanks John!) after the main fractal terrain node. Set this to 200. Use lateral displacements in the subsequent power fractals. The displacement size should be the same as the scale on the PF's main tab. The last thing I do is to use the stretch inputs of the noise tab. 10 will produce nice long, horizontal ridges. Use the color adjust slider to tweak the amount of coverage the PF has.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Shelves! Plural of shelf. Sorry but it is my language.

dandelO

Just meaning 'a funny post with coffee-spray-between-lips inducing properties when read'. That's all, made me laugh. :)

Kevin F

Quote from: dandelO on February 10, 2012, 03:34:12 PM
Just meaning 'a funny post with coffee-spray-between-lips inducing properties when read'. That's all, made me laugh. :)

Thank f--- for that, thought I'd spelt it wrong! ;D

Kevin F

dandelO

I feel bad for themodman, the last half a page of shite(correct spelling) is entirely unneeded here and we've forgotten what the thread was about in the first place.

I'd pop a power fractal after the compute terrain node and set its displacement direction to one of the laterals or, use a redirect shader anywhere in the network to push areas outwards along the X/Z axes, that'll give you shelves, just watch out for small scales, else you'll end up with spikes. You can specify blending shaders for the redirecting fractals or, as the blend shader to a regular fractal, if you use that method.

* Mhaze; Capital letters and full stops after a sentence, please! However many words contained therein!

mhaze

Themodman101

thank you very much Dandel0! that worked magnificently. And thank you Dune as well, I think I will use this method for something else :)

Okay then, Lateral Displacement Says it requires a Pre-Computed normal. But it seams to work with just a compute terrain node. Will this cause me issues in the future?

And one more quick question, Is Redirect Shader slower? or faster than a lateral PowerFractal Displacement? the Former seems to be the most direct.