Applying object populations to a vertical face

Started by TheBadger, February 13, 2012, 02:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello

I am having trouble getting plants to grow out of a vertical surface.

Is it even possible? I think that it should be! How do I do it?

Thanks again everyone.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I can do it, but I'm not sure if the pop rotation is already in the public version.... if not, you just wait a while. To overcome this I made some real 3D grasses a while ago. Oops, I hope I haven't said too much  ::)

Tangled-Universe

It is possible anyway.

The reason why it works so hard is because these vertical surfaces are very stretched and so are the coordinates for the populator, resulting in sparse distribution of objects.

So you'd need a very small compute terrain patch size, to potentially create more subdivisions of the steep surface and you also need to increase the density of the population.
In the end you may end up with a population for the steep surface and a separate one for the 'regular' not so steep surface.

TheBadger

Thanks guys!

Hmmmm, I'm thinking I should wait till the release which I am led to believe is imminent. Better to work as intended than to force a work around? The verticals are all 90°.

nice pic Ulco.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

With stretched faces you'll still have the same problem with the density, with or without that upcoming update you mention.

TheBadger

Hi T-U

I think I'll wait until I post the renders from this project. Then you can share if you think its even something I need to do. I'm looking forward to getting some fresh eyes on this, I just need to finish up the things that I am sure of.
It has been eaten.