What video card do you use?

Started by Oshyan, February 07, 2012, 07:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the GPU manufacturer and model family of your video card?

AMD/ATI HD 2000/3000 Series
0 (0%)
AMD/ATI HD 4000 Series
3 (4.3%)
AMD/ATI HD 5000 Series
5 (7.2%)
AMD/ATI HD 6000 Series
6 (8.7%)
AMD/ATI HD 7000 Series
2 (2.9%)
Earlier AMD/ATI Radeon
1 (1.4%)
AMD/ATI FirePro Series (details in comments)
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 7 Series
3 (4.3%)
Nvidia Geforce 8 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 9/100 Series
8 (11.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 200/300 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 400 Series
11 (15.9%)
Nvidia Geforce 500 Series
13 (18.8%)
Nvidia Quadro Series (details in comments)
6 (8.7%)
Intel Onboard GMA Series
0 (0%)
Other (details in comments)
8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

archonforest

If the black screen keep coming back I would do this:
0. Take out all movable parts like ram, hdd, vga...etc and blow the house with air. Clean those parts that u have taken out before.
0.1 Look at the connections of the ram, vga card and make sure they are clean. Not corroded or whatever. Install back these parts. Make sure they sit correctly and nothing loose.
1. Save all important data and format the whole drive.
2. Use a disc check or disk doctor and perform a thorough check for bad sectors or for any problem.
3. Re-install everything. Perhaps connect to the net to make sure all drivers are updated. (Put virus program before!)
4. If problem solved good.

If not start replacing parts. RAM-do test, VGA card-do test, PSU do test.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks Bobby and Atilla. I hope I won't need to format and reinstall all, I did that several times, but it takes a lot of time. I will do some more tests before, and may clean again (and check for corrosion) indeed.
I did a HWMonitor test and checked it against CoreTemp. Strangely, Coretemp gave an idle temp of 65º (which I found high, as running TG immmediately dropped it to 35º) while LWmonitor gives much lower heat, which goes up when running stuff. Can you see anything wrong or alarming in these temperature and voltage  figures? "HWMonitor in use" is when running TG (rendering) and having ZBrush open, the other is all idle.

KlausK

hi Ulco

This is more or less guesswork but...

First advice would be to make a clone of your installation as soon as possible.
If something goes wrong (which is imminent with your problems I think) you`d only have to put in the cloned HDD and keep on working.
I get very nervous about those irregular hardware errors myself.

Then, most of what archonforest recommends.

1. Your Core-Temp is very old. Version 1.7x is it nowadays.

2. Your temperature is indeed very high overall for my taste.

3. Isn`t the Core i7-2600k rated with a burst speed of 3800 GHz max?
If so you are overclocking and should run it on normal speed for some time to see what happens.

4. You could take out the CPU and clean it and put new cooling paste on.
This stuff loses elasticity over time (especially when overclocking) and does not do its job as well as in the beginning anymore.

5. Let Core-Temp or any temp controller software run in the taskbar while working and watch the max temp the cores reach.
You could tell Core-Temp to warn you when the CPU reaches a certain temp close to tjmax.

6. Do yourself a favour and get a new Nvidia card. The error message you posted has Nvidia components mentioned (again).
You are wasting time clinging to this old model (budget is not a problem you told us b4). This should eliminate 1 possible malfunctioning device.

7. Is your HDD filled up to 97% (Space h:)? Or is that free space?

8. I forgot: what kind of PSU do you have? Even though the voltage ratings look normal (again comparable to my system)
perhaps there is not enough power overhead (anymore) for the strain you put on your machine these times?

If that was my one workstation for everything I`d start by changing the GPU, HDD and checking RAM (or even replacing).

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!
cheers, Klaus

ps: this tests your cpu. maybe it`s worth a try.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks a lot for your input, Klaus. Very much appreciated. Cloning the whole lot was on my wishlist, indeed. I've downloaded Drive Image XML (https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm), and had Macrium Reflect already, but I think the XML is better for it does a hot clone. I need to find out if I need to make partitions first, or that the clone application will clone onto a bare, just formatted (or not even that) HDD...
Will download a new Coretemp as well.
I never overclocked  :o I have to find out how to lower that speed, probably from BIOS? Indeed, 4430 is way higher than max 3800. Strange.
Reapply paste crossed my mind also, I always get nervous doing that sort of thing, but I did it before.
New card is what Atilla advised as well, so that's a certainty.
Yes, one partition is quite full, but the space being in GB, I didn't think it much of a problem, though I also read that min 10% free is best. So, either perhaps move stuff or clone all to bigger HDD.
PSU is a Nexus NX-5000 R3 ATX12V 2.2 530 Watts. I would say that is quite enough, as I hardly ever do much software at the same time.

Dune

Well, I found out I did somehow put it a highest performance, so I now reduced to average level, and BIOS says 3400 Hz. Doing memtest..... passed without errors.

KlausK

I`ve been wondering... did it make a difference to reduce the performance level? Any more crashes or shutdowns?
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

No black screens up to now. Installed new CoreTemp and have it constantly on; 35 idle, 55 rendering, not bad, I think. So I won't take off the CPU and do new paste. Neither will I replace the GPU for now. I did however buy a new SSHD to make a clone of the whole lot, just in case. Still have to do that, but I need an empty day. Problem is that I hope Win 7 licence won't be messed up by different hardware. Then again, I might just have to call the guys...

Thanks again for your input, guys, I appreciate that!

archonforest

Seems that your cpu cooler is not adequate for the high speed...

Dune

I guess so. Anyway, I hope I can work without blackouts again now, very unnerving, though not as bad as real crashes.

rolland1013

rolland1013

Got a new computer a few months ago, so now I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card.

Niel

digitalguru

QuoteGot a new computer a few months ago, so now I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card.

Nice. Does the RTX mainly benefit games? or do other apps get a boost?

archonforest

Quote from: digitalguru on July 24, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
QuoteGot a new computer a few months ago, so now I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card.

Not even games using fully the RTX tech yet as far I can see. I read it somewhere(cannot remember the exact site, sorry) that Blender will not really benefit from RTX. Apparently V-Ray will have some benefits.(https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/profiling-the-nvidia-rtx-cards?fbclid=IwAR3-w5gaq32_YaMsJvkRuWtFeDYwDjShlYLV_ESygHVKwL3K5X_-DIHs0Ec)

digitalguru

Early days I guess, still a nice card though.

rolland1013

Quote from: digitalguru on July 24, 2019, 02:24:29 PM

I'm glad others chimed in on this, as I can't give an educated answer.  The video card is on my work computer, and I've only run TG, Maya, Houdini, World Machine, Nuke and Photoshop on it.  TG is definitely faster though.  But that's due more to the CPU (Intel i9-7980XE @2.60GHz w/128GB ram) than the video card, if I understand correctly.

Niel