What video card do you use?

Started by Oshyan, February 07, 2012, 07:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the GPU manufacturer and model family of your video card?

AMD/ATI HD 2000/3000 Series
0 (0%)
AMD/ATI HD 4000 Series
3 (4.3%)
AMD/ATI HD 5000 Series
5 (7.2%)
AMD/ATI HD 6000 Series
6 (8.7%)
AMD/ATI HD 7000 Series
2 (2.9%)
Earlier AMD/ATI Radeon
1 (1.4%)
AMD/ATI FirePro Series (details in comments)
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 7 Series
3 (4.3%)
Nvidia Geforce 8 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 9/100 Series
8 (11.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 200/300 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 400 Series
11 (15.9%)
Nvidia Geforce 500 Series
13 (18.8%)
Nvidia Quadro Series (details in comments)
6 (8.7%)
Intel Onboard GMA Series
0 (0%)
Other (details in comments)
8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

PabloMack

EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1 GB 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card 01G-P3-N981-TR

Its about the most powerful video card you can buy that requires only one slot.

Kevin F

How do these polls cater for upgrades that are acquired over time?

Oshyan

They don't explicitly account for upgrades, and a poll of this type is naturally going to be a bit time-specific anyway as hardware goes out of date and, as you say, gets upgraded. Perhaps we'll retire this poll at some point and revive it at a later date.

- Oshyan

Zairyn Arsyn

i think i might have just voted twice... i know i voted before in this pole before, but now it seems its been reset or something

i still have 460 gtx, but a friend sold me a 570 with a water block kit.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Just installed an upgrade tonight. Mudbox should be a lot more fun now. Not to mention cs6
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Looking to upgrade my graphics card, I am currently running Nvidia Geforce 560 2GB, not a huge gamer, but do pay once in a while so mostly dedicated for Terragen. I don't want to spend 600-800 us on a card if it just to much. I guess my question is whats the best card for rendering terragen stills and animation ?

i7 2700K Sandy Bridge OC 4.3
X4 Rip Jaw 4 gig Ram
H100 Corsair
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

otakar

Ever since I built the 2600k based machine, I have used the onboard graphics card (HD3000) and have no complaints, though I have no time for gaming. I can't do a side-by-side comparison with a dedicated card, but I've sifted through the reviews and I would not expect major improvements for what I do with it.

Walli

I think to render Terragen stills and animations, you don´t need a card at all. TG uses the card only for display on the screen, but the actual rendering is CPU number crunching. Same is true for most other applications too.
Only a few recent engines make use of GPU, like Octane or Blender Cycles, but this still has some drawbacks. For some stuff it´s great though.

DannyG

Quote from: Walli on March 07, 2013, 04:34:17 PM
I think to render Terragen stills and animations, you don´t need a card at all. TG uses the card only for display on the screen, but the actual rendering is CPU number crunching. Same is true for most other applications too.
Only a few recent engines make use of GPU, like Octane or Blender Cycles, but this still has some drawbacks. For some stuff it´s great though.

Thats kind of what I am looking for is information like that Walli, how much is too much, maybe my card is good enough for all intended purposes. I'm not a techie by any means, I have some extra $ so figure I would ask, Thks ^^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jaf

Is there a way to update this thread -- maybe add a new poll?  I suspect there's been quite a lot of change since it was started and we can change or update or data.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

I'd like to do a more broad hardware survey at some point in the future. Might just wait for that.

- Oshyan

archonforest

I think to survey the VGA card is useless since TG is not depend on it. We should probably do a CPU and RAM survey. Probably we should have a test file to render that everybody can download and post the render time with specifics of what cpu and what kind and how much ram did that. This data can help others to see what hardware upgrade they need to do in order to speed up TG on their PC/MAC. ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

The point of this survey was not to figure out how people's computers performed at rendering. People very seldom crash due to CPU or RAM issues, but graphics card issues are much more prevalent (even though Terragen's use of OpenGL is pretty simple). So we wanted to get a better idea of what kind of graphics cards were in use for stability reasons, not performance.

There have been benchmarks done in the past, I was involved in/responsible for several of them. I intend to do a new one soon, and now that TG3 is out it's a good time. I will try to get back to that... But it does serve a different purpose than this poll did/does.

- Oshyan

archonforest

I see...
actually you are right on this. It is an important data for the developers :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

ratfugel