What video card do you use?

Started by Oshyan, February 07, 2012, 07:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the GPU manufacturer and model family of your video card?

AMD/ATI HD 2000/3000 Series
0 (0%)
AMD/ATI HD 4000 Series
3 (4.3%)
AMD/ATI HD 5000 Series
5 (7.2%)
AMD/ATI HD 6000 Series
6 (8.7%)
AMD/ATI HD 7000 Series
2 (2.9%)
Earlier AMD/ATI Radeon
1 (1.4%)
AMD/ATI FirePro Series (details in comments)
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 7 Series
3 (4.3%)
Nvidia Geforce 8 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 9/100 Series
8 (11.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 200/300 Series
1 (1.4%)
Nvidia Geforce 400 Series
11 (15.9%)
Nvidia Geforce 500 Series
13 (18.8%)
Nvidia Quadro Series (details in comments)
6 (8.7%)
Intel Onboard GMA Series
0 (0%)
Other (details in comments)
8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

KlausK

Hi Ulco

As you no doubt noticed when hunting for answers there are a lot of possible causes to this.
The fastest solution would be to replace your video card with another nvidia card.
Don`t you have another old one lying around, maybe? ??? Or someone you could ask?
No need to change drivers or anything. You could even by a second hand nvidia for a few euros.

If you can`t do that get DDU from guru3d.com. It de-installs your nvidia driver completely.
Then install the new driver and try and test and wait for the next BSD.

Download GPU-Z and install it. A little program that is able to show a lot of data about your GPU.
It also has a few OpenGL tests on board you can run. It shows data about voltage, vram, temperature etc.
Let it run when running a TG session and look at what it spits out. Might help...

A good stress test for the GPU is FurMark. But beware, stress tests can be harmful to already erratic hardware.
At least if it kills the old card - the decision is made easy ;)

If that is not an option I would check your RAM.
A lot of errors come from misbehaving RAM, even GPU related errors.

I guess TG is developed on a up-to-date platform, perhaps 4.04 still needs any windows update
you did not install since your computer is offline. But that can be verified simply by checking when
the errors started to show and whatever you installed inbetween, I think.

I would also try to find out in which working situations the BSD happen.
Using the new Preview Renderer, or object heavy scenes or similar.
Perhaps you are even able to create a dedicated crasher-scene in the end.

Hope that helps and good luck!
cheers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks very much, Klaus. Very helpful. I think I have GPU-Z somewhere, so I'll try that for starters. I think I will wait and see what happens for the next few weeks before changing or over-stressing things, but I will keep your ideas at hand!
If there is a GPU that will perform under every circumstance and never fails, I'd go for that.

Dune

Blackouts again, and it's driving me crazy. Even typing in a number and hitting enter in Speedtree (only software open) caused a total system crash. I ran GPU-Z, 15% and small test, no errors, logged the sensors, and read them after a crash, nothing weird to be seen, all numbers staying the same up to the crash.
The error has to do with "OpenGl driver lost connection with display driver due to exceeding Windows time-out limit, error code 7". So I read all what others did about it, and it seems to happen more often. Maybe the GPU is getting old?

Also dusted out the whole machine (clouds of dust), and installed latest Forceware driver (378.66 replacing 314.22).... we'll see what happens.  If it's recurrent I might just buy a better/new GPU  >:(

archonforest

I would try this first:
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/203926375-Error-The-NVIDIA-OpenGL-driver-lost-connection-with-the-display-driver-due-to-exceeding-the-Windows-Time-Out-limit-and-is-unable-to-continue-#gsc.tab=0

Then to change the time out linit this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/increase-time-out-limit/e979e2ad-e15f-450b-9818-a148cbf01078

BTW next time you get a vga card buy something better than a 610. This is a very very basic card and slow. I know TG is not using that much the card but other applications yes and a weak card like this can be overloaded easily.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks man. I think the first is specifically for that software so 'Remove the use of the GPU for processing in the processing options' would have to be set universely or so. The second I read somewhere is not really a solution but a 'workaround'. But if all else fails I can try that.
As for a better GPU, I agree. Besides Speedtree and Lightwave, TG's RTP will probably run better on a better card as well. Now to figure out what's best... any ideas?

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on February 28, 2017, 11:06:56 AM
Thanks man. I think the first is specifically for that software so 'Remove the use of the GPU for processing in the processing options' would have to be set universely or so. The second I read somewhere is not really a solution but a 'workaround'. But if all else fails I can try that.
As for a better GPU, I agree. Besides Speedtree and Lightwave, TG's RTP will probably run better on a better card as well. Now to figure out what's best... any ideas?
There are millions of cards out there. What is your budget? What slot you have on the motherboard for vga card?
A cheap card here: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 with 2Gb of ram. This is a low end budget gaming card. Around 60euros?

Dune

Would that be any better than my GT610 2048MB? Budget is not really a problem, comfort in working is paramount.

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on March 01, 2017, 02:34:10 AM
Would that be any better than my GT610 2048MB? Budget is not really a problem, comfort in working is paramount.
It is not so much better but got it. Will look another one. 8)

This one is way better than your current one:
Evga Geforce Gtx 1050 SSC 2Gb Gddr5. Price is around 150Euros
Gigabyte RX 460 WF2 OC-4Gb 4 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI-E Graphics Card. Price is around 100Euros.

Around 100-150Euros pretty much every card will do for you as those ones are already low end gaming cards. But since they are new you might need to update your Win7 also.

Dune

Thanks very much. And good that you mention updating win 7. I have to check whether that's possible with no internet connection; download some update and transfer or something.

Ethrieltd

Quote from: Dune on March 01, 2017, 05:26:01 AM
Thanks very much. And good that you mention updating win 7. I have to check whether that's possible with no internet connection; download some update and transfer or something.

http://download.wsusoffline.net

Funnily enough I had this problem recently (just after a ram upgrade) and it only started happening after I updated my NVIDIA drivers. From what my research (cough) led me to believe it's a recurring bug. I reseated the card reinstalled the drivers and it seems ok. After several crashes an hour (seemingly instigated by Firefox) it's not done it at all in over 2 weeks.

Dune

Thanks for your input. My blackouts are gone after I dusted my case (!), and updated my GPU driver, whichever caused it. I can hardly believe though that the update fixed it, as nothing ever changes to my work machine environment, no other updates, offline all the time. If all stays the same how can crashes start, is what I mean.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Dune on April 07, 2017, 02:47:14 AM
Thanks for your input. My blackouts are gone after I dusted my case (!), and updated my GPU driver, whichever caused it. I can hardly believe though that the update fixed it, as nothing ever changes to my work machine environment, no other updates, offline all the time. If all stays the same how can crashes start, is what I mean.

Does it stay the same, though?  There may be viruses lurking around in the machine that aren't caught because the anti virus doesn't update.  Not to mention the typical errors and memory holes that can accumulate on a machine as time goes on.

Dune

In principle I can't get a virus on that machine, as it's totally off the internet (always been that way, so no antivirus, or firewall at all, ever) and I don't just install anything hazy or stick sticks in it. But yes, errors of memory stuff may increase in due time. But it's working like a dream again, I think it was the dust after all, causing tiny hotwiring issues perhaps.
Thanks for thinking along, Chad.

Dune

I've had another black screen when hitting the spacebar (working in TG, but render was done). Giving me the creeps again, with a few commissions coming up. I will have to dig again and might want to purchase another GPU, just to be sure. But I also read it might have to do with the PSU. I thought I heard a slight hesitation in fans, but that may be me.
So, I will do a RAM test, and see whether I can find a PSU test, take it from there....
Any additional expertise from you guys would be very welcome.

Here's what the log says, maybe any of you instantly knowws what the problem is  :P

In applications:

Event filter with query SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage> 99 can not be re-enabled in namespace //./root/CIMV2 due to error 0x80041003. There may be no events through this filter until the problem has been fixed.

Your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will now be deleted. The applications and services that the registry file now uses will no longer work properly.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \ Registry \ User \ S-1-5-21-3373810997-3059659574-992125922-1000:
Process 1884 (\ Device \ Hard Disk Volume1 \ Program Files \ NVIDIA Corporation \ NvContainer \ nvcontainer.exe) has opened key \ REGISTRY \ USER \ S-1-5-21-3373810997-3059659574-992125922-1000 \ Software \ NVIDIA Corporation \ Global \ ShadowPlay
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In system:

The driver found a controller error in \ Device \ Harddisk1 \ DR2.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details error PerfNet:
- System
  - Provider
   [Name] Microsoft-Windows-PerfNet
   [Guid] {CAB2B8A5-49B9-4EEC-B1B0-FAC21DA05A3B}
   [EventSourceName] PerfNet
  - EventID 2004
   [Qualifiers] 49152
   Version 0
   Level 2
   Task 0
   Opcode 0
   Keywords 0x80000 billion
  - TimeCreated
   [SystemTime] 2017-05-01T16: 26: 29.000000000Z
   EventRecordID 5746074
   Correlation
  - Execution
   [ProcessIDID] 0
   [ThreadID] 0
   Channel Application
   Computer Ulco-PC
   Security
- EventData
   340000C0
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Binary data:
In words
0000: C0000034
In bytes
0000: 34 00 00 C0 4..À

bobbystahr

When getting my current machine up and running I was having similar problems as you may recall from my posts and it turned out to be RAM...took a couple of attempts to get a matching pair of 8GB sticks before it became stable but(crossing fingers here) it's remained BSD free
since. Also in a totally offline workstation. Good luck mate...Was going to suggest downloading a redistributable update from M$ for Win7 as well...I'm running that as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist