Cracked Face

Started by cbalaskas, April 22, 2007, 01:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbalaskas

This setup uses two displaced voronoi noises to generate a fractured rockface look. The more rough your terrain is, the more excessive the features are. Just messing around with things.

RealUser

Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

rcallicotte

Wow.  This is cool.  Thanks for the TGD.  Very realistic.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cbalaskas

Thanks, and glad you enjoy. Here's the file again with a few tweaks.

cbalaskas

By squishing the voronoi noise on the Y axis (or stretching the X and Z axes), a layered rock look is acheived.

ProjectX

you, sir, are a genius!

cbalaskas

Project X: Ha! Tell that to my girlfriend! Thanks though, I need all the narcissistic supply I can get my hands on ;)

Here's the exact same terrain and setup with a strata and outcrops shader applied (default settings). I'm going to see what a breakup shader does now. Will post results.

moodflow

Very nice work!  Many thanks for posting this.  ;)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

old_blaggard

Great image!  That's some pretty awesome detail, as well as an intriguing use of Voronoi.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

glen5700

Nice job on the cracked rocks using voronoi and thanks for sharing. I tweaked it a bit and came up with this....

Glen

rcallicotte

Cool.  Reminds me of Mars a bit.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cbalaskas

glenn5700: Hey, that's pretty cool. It tends to look best at lower slopes as it breaks up into smaller outcrops of rock. I used a 2D Tree card setup population and rendered this. Can't see the "cracked face" much though. I wish I could figure ot a way to make the voronoi noise pattern larger with an increase in altitude. Any ideas? ???

glen5700

I glad you guy's like my quick Mars scene, thanks.

cbalaskas,
The only thing that came to mind at the moment is you can feed the voronoi through a surface layer node and use the altitude constraints and the fuzzy zone to blend them. Just a thought, nice looking scene you have there and adding the cracks would make it more interesting.

Glen

ProjectX

Quote from: cbalaskas on April 25, 2007, 06:41:34 PM
glenn5700: Hey, that's pretty cool. It tends to look best at lower slopes as it breaks up into smaller outcrops of rock. I used a 2D Tree card setup population and rendered this. Can't see the "cracked face" much though. I wish I could figure ot a way to make the voronoi noise pattern larger with an increase in altitude. Any ideas? ???

have a get altitude shader.

plug it into a Y to scalar function, and plug that into a multiply scalar.

Into the multiply scalar add a constant scalar and set it to a number.

Add another multiplier, plug the voronoi scalar into this multiplier and the first multiplier into the other end.

Hey presto, the voronoi gets bigger as altitude increases - you just need to tweak the first constant.

You might also want to increase displacement amplitude with altitude, but I don't know that one, sorry.

This is, by the way, done from my head without a single look at the clip file, so it might be wrong.

cbalaskas

Project X: Hmm, I tried as you suggested and wound up with a black low altitude and white high altitude, but no change in scale. Not sure if I did it right though. I tried something else and came up with this wierdness. Not what I'm after, but interesting. tgd attached.

Power fractal terrain, displacement 3000, displ. offset 1500.