Planet

Started by FrankB, February 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Thanks all!

If you're interested: I am currently working on a more complex global displacement, that holds up even with the camera near the ground.
Once I have that, I need to find a way to effectively embed this in the continental network.

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: Oshyan on April 01, 2012, 12:09:04 AM
:o Frank has created Australia?

- Oshyan
Quote from: Henry Blewer on April 01, 2012, 08:20:46 AM
And Foster's! :D
if that was the case it would mean fosters was actually created by a German guy whose a Master Terragen artist.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Zairyn Arsyn

souinds great frank.
these last 3 or so renders are incredible

Quote from: FrankB on January 10, 2013, 04:50:08 PM
Thanks all!

If you're interested: I am currently working on a more complex global displacement, that holds up even with the camera near the ground.
Once I have that, I need to find a way to effectively embed this in the continental network.

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

FrankB

Hey guys,

I have a first shot on the detailed ground displacements. The shots are far away from the origin and it still works nicely.
This planet *so* beautiful. I went down between the clouds and then further down even, and was presented with a nice sunset.

I'm looking for more places in other climate zones next and see how things look like.

Frank

FrankB

1 more

Oshyan

Looks very promising Frank. Is that some interspersed farm land I see up there, or a shader out of place? ;)

- Oshyan

FrankB

Oshyan, good eyes, as always :-)
A hint of voronoi is lending both the displacement and the shading the impression of fields every here and there, but it also helps with shaping the perlin noise mountains a bit.

Dune

Looking very good, Frank. Seems like an interesting planet to travel around in virtually. Maybe add some patches of very stretched fractal, combined (multiply or something) with a 90 degree turned stretched fractal to get some hint of rectangular fields instead of the voronois... (which also hints at human presence, nice!).

FrankB

Hi Ulco, on a global scale that's all a bit tricky. Not technically, but artistically. Only a small fraction of the surface of a planet is covered with fields and only in certain climate zones etc...
If you use small scale shading like this and look at it from space, it just looks very unnatural.
I haven't even planned to have "fields", is just that very occasionally the voronois "hit" a slope constraint, so that the shape becomes obvious.

An interesting fact about the displacement: I actually wanted a few alpine shapes here and there but the alpine is so slow to render, and worse, it doesn't work far away from the origin. So I experiemented with masked and layered voronoi to create a similar shape like the alpine, just more coarse, and I use it to "influence" the build-up of the more roundish perlin mountains. You get a straight line every here and there, but overall I think it looks good. Alps look very voronoi-ish when seen from space - very similar. Anyway, I still have a long way to go to make the perfect procedural planet. I will probably never finish entirely. But at one point I am going to release what I have.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

well, I think I will discard the voronoi eventually....

DannyG

This has progressed nicely Frank, looks great
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

FrankB

I hope I don't drive people to unsubscribe from this thread with all the half-ready images, but I assume this thread may have a few interested followers, so I'll keep it up :-)

You may have seen it on Facebook already, but anyway... the latest one.

Dune

Yes, Frank, keep it up. But what are those scratches? An ancient filter? And there seems to be an island floating above the clouds on the left side. Otherwise, great planet.