Dual screen setup to single (notebook)

Started by otakar, February 28, 2012, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

When using my notebook in a docking station and a dual screen setup, I have the color picker pop up on monitor 2. If I then undock the machine and open a project, then bring up a node and click on a color field, the color picker opens off-screen. I have no way at getting to it. All I can do at this point is hit Enter to close the picker, but I cannot work on the TGD (or at least on nothing that would involve color modifications).

This occurs on Windows 7 64-bit. It seems what is needed is a "Reset window locations" option in Preferences.

Until then, are there any workarounds?

ajcgi

I just had a fiddle with this. worryingly I still know a Win 3 trick that works with this. *cries*
With the hidden window selected hit Alt then let go, hit the left cursor key, then the down cursor key, then M. Now hold down the right cursor if it's hidden on the left of your current screen. Slowly but surely it will move across the screen and appear on the edge of your other one.
Additionally in win 7 you can use the windows key plus the right cursor but this doesn't work on TG2 floating windows.

otakar

Won't work for me. The problem is the window is a modal dialog and does not have a positioning menu. It won't respond to any keystrokes. So the usual alt+space bar shortcut does not have any effect.

ajcgi, were you actually able to move the color palette dialog?

ajcgi

Ah nuts you're right. I can move a power fractal window about happily but of course it has no menus... oops. Sorry, false hope.  :-[
Some kind of layout related thing would be good. I had a similar thing with some software where I switched my 2 monitors over at home and it screwed up layouts. Had to go back to the previous arrangement, revert to default layouts, then switch the DVI outs.
As for TG2 perhaps this does highlight the need for some kind of default layout/layout memory system.

jo

Hi,

Sorry about that. I've fixed this for the the node palettes for v2.4 but overlooked the colour picker. Annoying to me because I'm a proponent of multiple screens and I know there can be problems when you unplug a screen.

There is a work around. You will need to edit the preferences file. It's an XML file which can be edited in any text editor.

The preferences file can be found here (on Vista anyway):

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\uk.co.planetside\Terragen_2\preferences.xml

As I said you can open it in any text editor. Make sure TG2 isn't running before you do. You will want to look for two lines which look like this:

<key>colourPicker_lastPos_x</key>
<key>colourPicker_lastPos_y</key>

Beneath each of those lines you'll find a line which looks something like this:

<integer>SOME NUMBER</integer>

where SOME NUMBER is some number :-).

You'll want to delete both of those <key> lines plus the <integer> lines under each one. Save the file and restart TG2 and the colour picker should open back on your main screen again.

You will need to keep the colour picker on your main screen if you don't want this to happen again. I will fix this and any similar problems for the release after the next one.

Regards,

Jo

otakar

Cool, that'll work just fine for now. Thanks, Jo!